Best state for hunting ?

Feenix,I have arrowed plenty of bulls in your are,my brother in law is from Dirty bird.The problem with over there is it is much farther from where I live and access.The ranches that I used to access FS now want to charge $3-5000 to hunt,and they are just blocking the public land because they sit in front of a large portion of the moutain type terrain.Im sure you run into this,and it is getting worse every year.I also use to hunt a 60,000 acre place and it sold ,no more access.Was 13 miles long in one direction

Feenix,I have arrowed plenty of bulls in your are,my brother in law is from Dirty bird.The problem with over there is it is much farther from where I live and access.The ranches that I used to access FS now want to charge $3-5000 to hunt,and they are just blocking the public land because they sit in front of a large portion of the moutain type terrain.Im sure you run into this,and it is getting worse every year.I also use to hunt a 60,000 acre place and it sold ,no more access.Was 13 miles long in one direction

Yep, very sad but true. There was 65,000+ acre ranch that used to participate in BMA but it was bought off by an out stater a couple of years ago that now charges/outfits hunts.

sp6X6

Similar goings on here in Washington. A couple years back I was minding my own business strolling through a nice timbered hunting spot I've used since the 1950's. Imagine my surprise when I lock eyes with two coyotes looking me over from about 300 yards. Only there is something wrong with these coyotes. They were the same height as the deer that had come through the same spot about 30 minutes before. They also looked to be at least 120 pounds each. Biggest coyotes I've ever seen. They finally figured out that I probably wasn't a good thing to eat and wandered off after the deer.

Needless to say the hunting in that area now sucks and there are more wolf on the way. I'm just glad I'm ticking down my last few years cause if I were younger I might do something really stupid. There isn't much out there that ****es me off more than these tree huggers bringing back the wolf. Oh, and they also want to reintroduce grizzly into the Cascades. Last time I checked, grizzlies kill a few folk every now and then. I don't think that it even registers with these numb skulls that their actions will result directly in people getting maimed and KILLED by the bear they "reintroduced" not to mention the total devastation of game herds from wolves which they already have in progress.

OP, there are many different game species in just about every western state. Access to public ground is waning and the Eco-Tweakers make it hard on a guy out to fill a freezer. Mt. "Sucks", as does Idaho so no need for anyone to look this way. The over the counter tags, generous seasons and relatively large game populations are great. There are still a few monsters in the woods, but morale has sunken with the "Reintroduction" of (Canadian) grey wolves. It sucks, but it's still better than having to draw for deer and elk.

sp6X6

Similar goings on here in Washington. A couple years back I was minding my own business strolling through a nice timbered hunting spot I've used since the 1950's. Imagine my surprise when I lock eyes with two coyotes looking me over from about 300 yards. Only there is something wrong with these coyotes. They were the same height as the deer that had come through the same spot about 30 minutes before. They also looked to be at least 120 pounds each. Biggest coyotes I've ever seen. They finally figured out that I probably wasn't a good thing to eat and wandered off after the deer.

Needless to say the hunting in that area now sucks and there are more wolf on the way. I'm just glad I'm ticking down my last few years cause if I were younger I might do something really stupid. There isn't much out there that ****es me off more than these tree huggers bringing back the wolf. Oh, and they also want to reintroduce grizzly into the Cascades. Last time I checked, grizzlies kill a few folk every now and then. I don't think that it even registers with these numb skulls that their actions will result directly in people getting maimed and KILLED by the bear they "reintroduced" not to mention the total devastation of game herds from wolves which they already have in progress.

Different country SAME STORY! Here in Alberta, Canada the wolf population has exploded and the herds are way down because of it, where there were lots of animals it's a ghost town now. Also Grizzlies have been protected for many years, their populations have increased significantly and they attack people every year, some hunters are killed others get chewed up real bad.

Not only that but the best hunting properties are being locked up by outfitters, so hunting in Alberta has become difficult to the point where many hunters are giving up on it. If you do something wrong like be on the wrong property when you kill something, the fines are pretty stiff including having your gun and vehicle confiscated. Really very sad!

Here is a picture of one "Little Puppy" that was killed near my home in Drayton Alberta, it weighed 230 lbs. I think its the new world record. Wonder how many moose and elk it takes to feed a pack of them?

tKu2Np5.png

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.