Your favorite cartridge based off .30-06?

Pet 30/06 started when I was 15, which was 60 years ago. Still have half a dozen, and they're still good. Now use .308 mostly unless I carry 300 Winmag.

Mine is clearly the .25-06. It may be the perfect deer cartridge. It shoots as flat was a 7MM Rem magnum. The recoil is mild. It's extremely accurate & easy to shoot well with either inexpensive factory ammunition or handloads. It will drop a deer farther off than real-world hunting situations present, and it does so without blowing cannonball sized holes in game — even at close range. While we have lots of firearms to reach for, that's the one I see myself reaching for most often.

My .25-06 shoots well with every factory load I've gotten my hands on — so well I don't need to reload for it. Everyone else I've known with a .25-06 has told me the same thing, these rifles are not at all picky about ammunition. I can't say that about many rifles or cartridges.
The 25-06 is not my favorite round from the 06. I had to get one after seeing what it could do. I was in Montana with a friend who had a Mule deer doe tag left .We came up on five does standing like a pyramid .Looked like the mother then the past year then this the present year My friend told the guide he was going to put one in the mother ear. I ranged it at just over 300 yards. It was snowing with high winds blowing .The guide bet my friend he could not do it . It was on. My friend got out of the truck and got on his bi-pod .The guide kept saying shoot .The wind just happen to die down and the gun went off. We drove up to the doe .She had a hole in her ear. After that I had to have one. He was shooting Federal 95 gr H.P

.25-06 since 1976
Had mine 25 built in the early '70's. Still one of the most accurate rifles I own. Straight tube Douglas Supreme target barrel (no taper), Fajen thumbhole stock. In my prime, I could put 5 under a dime all day long. Back in the day, we had to form brass from the parent '06 brass. Still incredibly accurate, although I'm no way as good as I once was.

As others have said, nothing wrong with an '06. Sold it to buy a 280 Rem. Gave that to my brother. I have a 270 custom Mauser rifle, and a custom Ruger #1 in 25/06. The gunmakers that built them have long since passed, and I can't bring myself to take them into the woods now. But my favorite is a Winchester EW in 280AI, with a Bartlein barrel. Even though I have a few others, it's the one I grab most often.

25-06. Works well for what I hunt, primarily white tail and speed goats, but does a great job on varmints and I'm confident that I could knock down an elk with it. So far, both of the 25-06 rifles I have been one shot stoppers. I know this has been said a million times, but I think shot placement is crucial to a ethical kill. I don't really see pushing the limits of my rifles past what I soundly believe is an effective range for an assured first round kill. That said, I'm confident with mine on speedgoats out to 500 yards.

I don't know that I have a favorite cartridge based on the 30-06, I've owned quite a few and enjoyed them all. 6.5-06AI, multiple 25-06s, grew up with a 270, 2 338-06AIs and a few 30-06s. I'm just grateful for the cartridge and everything it has spawned, it's a great case.

Last edited:
I own a 30-06 and 270 Win. I'd like to take a stab at 280 Remington and a 30-06 with a 26-28" barrel.

Had mine 25 built in the early '70's. Still one of the most accurate rifles I own. Straight tube Douglas Supreme target barrel (no taper), Fajen thumbhole stock. In my prime, I could put 5 under a dime all day long. Back in the day, we had to form brass from the parent '06 brass. Still incredibly accurate, although I'm no way as good as I once was.
Thumbhole stock here, as well. Gun began life as a 700 ADL, but is now set up with BDL bottom metal and a 26" Shilen light varmint weight barrel. All that happened in '83. I used to form brass from .270 and .06 brass, but .25-06 brass is easy to find now. Still a death ray for whitetail.

6 pages and going, time to have fun
I have the 30-06 and the 270 and I want a 25-06.
To me, the original, 30-06 is perfect. Can't improve it. 30-06 AI shoult be called 30-06 AM. Ackley Modified. Not Ackley Improved. The "improved" is marketing...
and now let the fireworks begin 😅

Recent Posts