High Performance 30-06 Based Wildcats

375rifleman

I was just wondering what "High Performance" 30-06 Based Wildcats are avalible Hawk,Howell,SSK, others? I`m looking for a larger caliber rifle cartridge that has the same relative trajectory as a 30-06, relatively the same pressure levels , has significantly more downrange energy levels, so I could do a simple barrel swap. Thanks in advance for any thoughts,opinions, or answers.

I'd be inclined to do a 6.5-280 AI but for what your wanting I would just go 338-06.

The 338-06 is a good chambering but is likely to yeild a more arcing traj, and also less energy down range than some of its necked down '06 counterparts.

This would probably be a good time for the OP to specify the range he wants to work at.

I was just thinking 411 Hawk,416 Howell, or something similar and the 338-06 is the smallest caliber I`d like to go sorry about the 6.5-06 and 280 as both are good cartridge s I just prefer big bores.

35 whelen will take a 220 out at 2700 fps with the right powders without any forming at all. I have had a fondness for the whelen for years, but I like it even more now that I have one.
The 400 whelen may be another option for you, but it does require case forming as the shoulder is blown out with a lower body taper to help with capacity and positive head-spacing.

I hate to sound like a *****, but If you really need something that big and slow, just go buy one of these....

Last edited by a moderator: