Wildcats Based on the 6.5x55 case

hillbillybear

Hi Folks,

Recently I've been working up loads for a Kimber M-96 6.5 x 55 that my dad traded for and I've been favorably impressed by the grand old Swede. This experience set me to thinking about cartridges based on the 6.5x55 case.

Has anyone worked with and/or developed any such cartridge? I'm thinking either a 6.5 x 55 Ackley Improved or a 6MM-6.5 x55 AI might make a nice round to play with.

Thanks for the input,

HBB

I have seen guns necked up to 7mm and 30 cal and Ackley improved and I have seen them necked down to 6mm also.

Its kind of an inbetween case size , it can be shoe horned into a short action but you loos some case space when you use long heavy bullets and I have heard that some guy had trouble withit feeding from the mag on long actions but I think that their just wasen't any time taken to modify the feed lips for it to work more smoothly.

Remember that the small ring M96 Mausers are not designed for high pressure loads so whatever wildcat you go with realize you need to keep pressures in the same class as the originial parent cartridge. I would not load much over 50K psi just to be on the safe side.

YOu can still get some very usible wildcats that work at this pressure level. Better to be safe then push things on the small diameter receiver.:)

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the input folks.

The rifle I'm thinking about will probably be based on a Savage action (relatively cheap and the switch barrel potential really appeals to me) with a 5 or 6 contour barrel and a laminated stock for a finished weight of no more than 12-12.5 lbs field ready.

I'm thinking a 6.5 x 55 AI might just be the ticket (I already have a .280 AI that I love).

A local hack gunsmith built a 7STW built on the M-96 action. How he did it and didn't blow something up or kill someone should be considered something of a miracle (He claimed to have fired over 200 rounds thru it). It was without question the most awful, both cosmetically and mechanically, rifle I have ever laid eyes on.

HBB

Last edited:
Alot of smiths back in the day did things like that but that does not mean the receivers were designed for modern high pressure loadings.

The reason the receivers hold together is because most bolt action receivers have a significant amount of over build into them to give a safety cushion with the rounds they were designed to shoot.

That is why the M96 will handle these rounds in most cases, however, they were not designed around these types of cases so it is impossible to say how they will perform over a long period of time.

Always look at the chamberings offered with the original receiver design and that will tell you what rounds you should pick from if you want to build a rifle on them.

Personally, in this day and age, I have no desire to pay some Lawyers kids way through college!!!

Using a receiver because its cheap or because its there is not the right way to do things unless you keep the project in the relm of the original receiver design.

It may be of interest to many here that I just rebuilt a M98 that a customer brought in to me with problem chambering fired brass. The rifle was build on an argentine M98 originally chambered in 8mm mauser I believe the customer said.

It was not barreled to a 416 Taylor. The problem was easy to see, the top portion of the bolt face was actually collapsing under the bolt thrust generated by the belted magnum round. In fact it had recessed nearly 20 thou!!!!

The problem was that when a round would fire, it would take on this cant on the case head and when it was tried to be chambered again, if the head did not match up with the cant on the bolt face, it simply would not chamber for obvious reasons.

We had to switch out that spoiled receiver for a newer interarms M98 clone originally designed for the belted magnum chamberings.

Point being, there are so many old mausers out there with questionable heat treating in their bolt heads and receivers that it is simply foolish to use them for modern high pressure loadings unless their original design was for this purpose.

Back in the day, they did not have many options for custom receivers and the Mauser was the standby and that is why you saw everyone use them. With the proper heat treating a M98 would certainly be able to handle the pressures of a 22-250 and 308 but you are talking about a company that knew what they had and what they were doing and I believe they reheat treated all their receivers before building on them. That is not the case with most smiths that use the Mausers simply because they are cheap and easy to get.

Just my opinion, but use them at your own risk. I would never do it for a customer and chambering one for a belted magnum is simply nonsense in my opinion. Take it for what you will, just another opinion.

Kirby Allen(50)

HB, if you're gonna play around with a wildcat based on the 6.5X55, let me know. I have about 200 rounds of new Lapua brass here that i can't do anything with. I'll sell it to u for .5 Midway price--$56/200.

Ever hear of the .224 Vais?? It was written up 2X in PS magazine years ago--it's a 6.5X55 necked to 224 and improved.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.