Whats your favorite RUM?

I very recently got into the rum game with a 1:10 twist 338 rum in a rem700 AWR. It killed the first scope I had on it, so trying load testing again with a new scope and better brake. The bare gun is 7# and that's a light rifle for launching 300's
I just bought a 7 RUM that is lightweight like that. I havent shot it yet. Hoping the Vais brake tames that thing enough to make it tolerable.
My 338 has no brake but at +11# it's not bad.

I just bought a 7 RUM that is lightweight like that. I havent shot it yet. Hoping the Vais brake tames that thing enough to make it tolerable.
My 338 has no brake but at +11# it's not bad.
The vais will probably work well. I shot a 338 LM in a Fierce ultralight rifle with a vais style brake and it was surprisingly comfy.

I must have been tired when I wrote my post last night, as my rifle is 9# bare, not 7. So scoped up it's right at 11# as well. But I'm a bit recoil sensitive, and am putting on a 5 chamber MBM brake here soon. The radial the gun came with is fine for hunting, but not bench work and especially not the 300gr smk loads

I very recently got into the rum game with a 1:10 twist 338 rum in a rem700 AWR. It killed the first scope I had on it, so trying load testing again with a new scope and better brake. The bare gun is 7# and that's a light rifle for launching 300's

If you repeat this, as I've never said or remotely suggested this to anyone, if your rifle is under 9 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, and slung)….you "may" think about a muzzle brake! 😔

I never thought that I'd utter those words, and will deny having said it, but and there's always a but…..If it is used for hunting (not hundreds of rounds on steel) and it were mine, I'd try like hell to avoid the brake! memtb

I love all the RUMS, why should I have to choose? Thats just silly talk. When Remington started dropping them on the public, they old schools nearly SHat themselves.
"What is this over bore BS" "that'll never be accurate" why would you need that" "that's going to kick like a mule'' and so on.

I bought every single chambering and they all shot unreal for factory rifles.

My love for the 300 RUM is long lasting and has proven to me time and time again why it's so RADD.

But if I had to grab just one RUM ........... it would be the 338 RUM ..

But I've always wanted a 358 RUM!!

Last edited:
If you repeat this, as I've never said or remotely suggested this to anyone, if your rifle is under 9 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, and slung)….you "may" think about a muzzle brake! 😔

I never thought that I'd utter those words, and will deny having said it, but and there's always a but…..If it is used for hunting (not hundreds of rounds on steel) and it were mine, I'd try like hell to avoid the brake! memtb
For a hunting rifle a brake is truly obnoxious. I will never argue that. I have some past serious shoulder damage, and heavy impacts are rough. My goal for this rifle is bench shooting, long range play, and some long range hunting which would be prone shots. It does weigh 11 pounds fully loaded (no bipod, so 12 with the bipod) but it still just moves too much for me with the radial brake and 300 gr smk's. Shooting 250gr GK or grand slams, the radial brake was really quite comfortable. I haven't worked with the rifle enough to know what my final load will be, so I may well head back to the radial brake if I find that shooting the 300's isn't what my rifle likes.

For a hunting rifle a brake is truly obnoxious. I will never argue that. I have some past serious shoulder damage, and heavy impacts are rough. My goal for this rifle is bench shooting, long range play, and some long range hunting which would be prone shots. It does weigh 11 pounds fully loaded (no bipod, so 12 with the bipod) but it still just moves too much for me with the radial brake and 300 gr smk's. Shooting 250gr GK or grand slams, the radial brake was really quite comfortable. I haven't worked with the rifle enough to know what my final load will be, so I may well head back to the radial brake if I find that shooting the 300's isn't what my rifle likes.
Just my opinion, so take it for what it is, but I'd rather shoot the 250s comfortably than bother with the 300s.
I'm working up loads for the 260 Hammer Hunters without a brake and really liking it so far.

I know a lot of guys get hung up on the "bigger is better" mentality, which is why we "need" a .338 in the first place, but a 250 will kill anything on the continent.

Just my opinion, so take it for what it is, but I'd rather shoot the 250s comfortably than bother with the 300s.
I'm working up loads for the 260 Hammer Hunters without a brake and really liking it so far.

I know a lot of guys get hung up on the "bigger is better" mentality, which is why we "need" a .338 in the first place, but a 250 will kill anything on the continent.
For hunting I will use the 250's, I have no doubt. But for canyon shooting, trying to beat my brother (running a .300 rum with 230's) I want the 300's for the extra BC and impact energy

You need a better muzzle brake...I put one of these on my 338 Edge and can now spot my shots at distance. A T3 would be even better but I did not have the correct threads to fit one.

You need a better muzzle brake...I put one of these on my 338 Edge and can now spot my shots at distance. A T3 would be even better but I did not have the correct threads to fit one.

I have a Muzzle Brakes and More 5 port Super Baby Beast II (what a ridiculous name lol) coming that should arrive this week. From my research it should be a game changer over the factory radial.