Whats your favorite RUM?

338's seem to be pretty scarce -- its obvious that the 300s are the most popular
Which never made sense to me. Everyone will run a Lapua but the RUM matches its performance and does so with a standard magnum bolt face. Plus brass and ammo are cheaper. In the future, if I build another, it'll probably be a 338 Edge just for the little extra oomph

375 RUM... I believe it is what the 375 H&H wanted to be. Balanced the most efficient of the.RUMs it hits like an absolute freight train, and has really good legs long distance. I have taken animals as big as cape buffalo and Eland and a small Steinbok. And taking shots with mine as far as 400 yards this close as 15 yards.

Ed

I can't believe that I didn't choose this one as my #1 pick……I must be really slipping! 😉 memtb

There is no "better" round. Not for every person in every scenario. It probably has more to do with the fact that America loves a .30 cal above all else
Well let's see, 1st thing, 30 calibers got the endless bullet selection. Almost always, anybodys going to shoot the 300RUM with with a bit more accuracy. Just a bit easier to handle the recoil, than the more powerful 338RUM. They're like hammers, if a 28oz Estwings is getN the purlins nailed down, switchN to a 3 pounder ain't gonna get er done any faster or better!

Last edited:
Well let's see, 1st thing, 30 calibers got the endless bullet selection. Almost always, anybodys going to shoot the 300RUM with with a bit more accuracy. Just a bit easier to handle the recoil, than the more powerful 338RUM. They're like hammers, if a 28oz Estwings is getN the purlins nailed down, switchN to a 3 pounder ain't gonna get er done any faster.
I don't necessarily disagree with those aurguments, but wouldn't the comparison between 7 and 300 be the same?
My bet would be on Backwoods' response. We're just conditioned to favor .30 anything.

I don't necessarily disagree with those aurguments, but wouldn't the comparison between 7 and 300 be the same?
My bet would be on Backwoods' response. We're just conditioned to favor .30 anything.
Can't say on that 1 , haven't shot the 7mmRUM. Had a 7STW since Hector was a pup, but probably nearly same mpg on those 2 cartridges. Think Remington got the release dates in order of importance. They already had their 7 Rem Mag and probably dint want to knock it off it's pedestal.

I love my 300 rum. It shoots lights out. Taking it out to Wyoming in October for an elk hunt
worked up a mild load 180 HH at around 3200 fps.
Built by Southern Precision Rifles in Cookville TN
McMillan Game hunter
Defiance Deviant Hunter
Bartlin 1-10 twist varmint contour #4 with spiral flutes
Trigger tech diamond trigger
Nightforce SHV

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 37
I love my 300 rum. It shoots lights out. Taking it out to Wyoming in October for an elk hunt
worked up a mild load 180 HH at around 3200 fps.
Built by Southern Precision Rifles in Cookville TN
McMillan Game hunter
Defiance Deviant Hunter
Bartlin 1-10 twist varmint contour #4 with spiral flutes
Trigger tech diamond trigger
Nightforce SHV
What length barrel is it ? 27-28 in. ? You reminded me , I forgot to list Trigger Tech trigger in my post 🙄