What are your favorite 6mm LR bullets?

MTRifleman, Not sure on barrel length, I'll find out, all three guys are record holders in bench. All shoot berger, the one guy was testing loads for a friend rifle before shoot a few weeks ago and it was a custom bullet, which he told me but I DONT recall. He put 5 shots in 1 3/4 @ 1000. They have to shot 10 shots for there type shoots.

I can relate to that. I once built a 28" .257-300 Weatherby. 115 Bergers at well over 3850. 110 AB's at almost 4K. I still like this type of rifle for the ones I don't shoot much. Perfect for the low round per year, carry, point, and shoot rifles.

Jeff

Jeff there is a lot of wisdom in what you say. It would be real good to have an LR practice chamber that you could shoot freely and with relative low cost and high round count. I might be wrong, but I'm hoping nitriding will help me out with that in the 284 Norma. If I'm wrong, it won't be the first time and I'll probably be following your foot steps in a rebarrel to a BR, 243 or 6x47. I've always had to learn the hard way :)

MTRifleman, Not sure on barrel length, I'll find out, all three guys are record holders in bench. All shoot berger, the one guy was testing loads for a friend rifle before shoot a few weeks ago and it was a custom bullet, which he told me but I DONT recall. He put 5 shots in 1 3/4 @ 1000. They have to shot 10 shots for there type shoots.

Thanks for getting back and no worries... I was just curious. Those sound like incredible groups. I doubt I could do that with a perfect rifle under perfect conditions. I would be very interested in what the custom bullet was.

I recently built a 6-284 on a SA rem 700. Shooting it as a single shot as mag is too short. I suppose one could get a wyatt's mag box and have the reamer made with a shorter throat. Even so the OAL max for the wyatt's is just under 3" which doesn't optimize the 284 case.

I am using a 1 in 7.5 barlein 5R. Wanted to shoot the 115 DTACs and from what I read needed that extra twist. Heard that 115 Bergers would come apart with RPMs that high. Figured if the DTACs didn't work I could fall back on the 107 sierras.

Couldn't get the DTACs to shoot. Tried everything seating depths, powders, neck tensions etc.

The 107 Sierra MK responded immediately! Using Retumbo at moderate velocities (3265 fps). At this point I just wanted something accurate as I shortened the barrel life significantly trying the DTACs.

This package is used for long range jackrabbits and boulders. The 107 sierra may not have the wind bucking abilities of the higher BC 115s but they hold together and shoot accurately.

MTRifleman. In those dashers,they are shooting 28 1/2- 29'' krieger barrels, bat and defiance,#17 lbs. 105 berger and 103 spencer @ 2950-3050 for 29''. They just took offf for match

I am using a 1 in 7.5 barlein 5R. Wanted to shoot the 115 DTACs and from what I read needed that extra twist. Heard that 115 Bergers would come apart with RPMs that high.

I have the 115 Bergers going 3250 in a 1-8 twist.

I shoot a 6mm Catbird at 3985 with 107 SMK's. After trying several premium bullets including the Berger VLD's the SMK's have proven to offer the best groups by a considerable margin. Longest game shot I've taken was an antelope at 714 and had no problem dropping it without a step.

The 243 catbird Im having built is based off the 270 winchester case, necked down and ackleyized. I was told by my gunsmith they are shooting 70 grain bullets at 3700 plus......so I'm very "amazed" that you can get over 3900 with a 107. I plan on shooting the 107 myself along with 90-95 grain nosler ballistic tips and I expect somewheres in the 3500 range.

The 243 catbird Im having built is based off the 270 winchester case, necked down and ackleyized. I was told by my gunsmith they are shooting 70 grain bullets at 3700 plus......so I'm very "amazed" that you can get over 3900 with a 107. I plan on shooting the 107 myself along with 90-95 grain nosler ballistic tips and I expect somewheres in the 3500 range.

Sounds like your gunsmith has either got you set up with a short barrel or is not using a Kenny Jarrett spec reamer if those are the max numbers. The Jarrett rifles are out the door at 4100 with a Nosler CT 70 gn bullet using a 1/8 29-30" tube. Somewhere in the process you're losing 400 fps comparing the actual Jarrett numbers for their factory loads available to the public. I've personally seen several shooting buddies run the 95 CT's right at that number, using substantial actions such as a Nesika, BAT or Stolle and set in the lands .010 with firm neck tension.

I'm "amazed" at basic 6AI numbers on a Catbird build considering the increased case volume of the 270 parent case.

To be fair, I'm not exactly sure how fast he shoots his, but I "thought" he said 3700 plus. I asked him what he shoots and he said 70 grainers, but I could be wrong about his speeds as I will not be shooting the light bullets and didn't pay much attention to their speeds. If you're getting over 3900 with a 107 smk would you say this is the fastest 6mm beating the 6-284 and 240 gibbs hands down ? Again, I will be very AMAZED if the speeds are over 3900, not saying it isn't possible. In reference to 6mmai, you're gaining a couple hundred fps over the standard 243 (3200-3400) ??? My barrel is an 8 twist and will finish at 26.5" if it can shoot that fast I will be happily impressed. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.