Your favorite production rifle

Mpi makes a decent stock but I don't like the way they do the magazine. Cutting a barrel threading it, plus stock and a hunter leave me more than the Adirondack was when last sold, substantially so. And still have a magazine solution not much better than an rar. If kimber would sneak out a bunch of mag boxes it would be more viable.
Mpi stocks are really expensive. I'd look elsewhere.

Well in the extensive catalog of companies cranking out kimber stocks....

Honestly this is an under served market, I wish stockys had done some carbons for it. They could sell a bundle until kimber starts producing if they ever do.

With my admittedly limited personal experiences……a New Haven Winchester Model 70. It would be the SS models….though, likely with a stock upgrade. It is my understanding, and correct me if I am wrong……the Winchester SS Model 70's where the "only" rifles produced in that era that were "All Stainless, every pin, spring, ect. memtb
Had one of the last ones NH made. It was a 6.5x55 with a semi-fancy stock. Like so many others in the 60 years of come and go, I sold it back in PA.

I have most Pre64, blued, wood stock. I at one time had all calibers of the Pre64. Like a full I sold a couple. But the pure SS Model 70s . I have one untouched, that's the 308. The others I have customized. I still play with them, I'm building a 7.PRC from a 300Wm. My gunsmith has everything, he just needs time to get at it. Hoping around February it should be finished. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year's. God Bless. 🎅

Mine are all NH, Stainless CRF, most classic calibers. I have one unfired 300 WM and one I play with. Missing 264, 280 and 458?
Only sold two firearms in my life, regretted it ever since
I do have in SC made, in 375H&H

New Haven model 70. Two bobcats both killed in same place.

Attachments

• IMG_20171120_164546309.jpg
    IMG_20171120_164546309.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20161121_090002305.jpg
    IMG_20161121_090002305.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
My Dad bought a Fabrique Nationale in .270 about 40 years ago at a police auction in Houston. (yes they used to have those) He said he had seen one in Austria when he was overseas in the post WWII period. IMO, it is the most balanced and smoothest rifle I have ever handled, and that has been quite a few over the years. Also the stock is something amazing to see. Very beautiful wood and some very intricate checkering and engraving. Shoots most factory 130 grain ammo to about 3/4". Certainly not a new race horse caliber in a titanium chassis, but very much old school cool factory production rifle.
The FN is in my gun safe, dressed exactly as he had it, and likely will be there when I am gone. I take it out now and then to the deer woods and kill something, my Dad would be proud. I always had to sight his rifle, he hated target shooting, but we hunted over 25 years together in the Trans-Pecos in a high rack truck after mulies and I never saw him miss a deer.
I acquired an FN .270 about 30 years ago in a trade. It was my first "nice" rifle and I agree with you 100% about your description of it. Balanced well, smooth as silk and the checkering along with all the attention to detail was far and away nicer than anything I had owned. Unfortunately, I ended up trading it away because I was hooked on gun shows at the time and was buying, selling and trading constantly. I had not thought about that gun in several years now and you jarred my memory. Thank you and hold onto yours!

Fabrique Nationale has almost always had excellent craftsmanship. Wonderful relationship with Browning that began with John Browning himself (gun genius). But you can't excuse the way they make their children make "meat helmets":D