Your favorite production rifle

Big Rem 700 fan, the X-bolts are grand (have one and experience with several), but the winner for me is my first big game rifle. One my parents gave me - a gorgeous blonde Husqvarna .308 (Smith&Wesson stamped) 1 hole rifle with 150, 165 and/or 180gr. Shot a feeding gobbler's head off once at 168yds
Looks like it's time for a name change....something like....HUSKY BLONDE-4 -EVERYTHING!🤣

I have a Weatherby Mark V Accumark w/ the Accubrake in .257 Weatherby Magnum. It is stupid accurate, waaay more than I am. It's on the long and heavy side, but I think that just helps with the accuracy. It is my "go to" rifle for out west deer and antelope. It resides in the #1 spot in my gun safe. I'm sure all of my other rifles are very jealous. 😂

I've experimented with more than a few production rifles and have always gravitated to the Brownings. Never had one that wouldn't shoot .75 moa. The triggers are hard as a rock but I always manage to change springs in them and get them satisfactory. Right now I can't seem to put my X-Bolt 7mm-08 down during whitetail season in Georgia.

Being a lefty, I gave up on production rifles long ago. It became a very expensive journey.

Step 1: Buy rifle
Step 2: Throw away everything except barreled action
Step 3: Replace everything except barreled action
Step 4: Hope to god the factory barrel shoots to my standards
Step 5: Realized a custom build is just as cost effective & with higher quality components.
Step 6: Stop buying production rifles 🤣

As far as replacing the trigger on your 110. I have a couple Rifle Basix triggers & won't complain about them. They aren't Trigger Tech's by any means, but functional & usable.

It's always interesting to hear different perspectives. I've never had an issue with my Accu-Triggers. I like them just fine, after getting used to them of course.

t
Being a lefty myself, my first rifle I hunted with was an Argentine Mauser in 7.65 and I learned to operate it pretty good. When I was about 16 my Dad and I found a Savage 110 in left hand in 30-06 with a custom Weatherby/California-type stock. I began reloading about that time. My favorite was the Remington 700 LH I got when I traded the Savage for that. I like the feel of the stock and it was the most accurate rifle in my experience at that time. I wish the Remington had a little more purchase on the bolt. I once thought the rifle was perfect and trigger after I adjusted per instructions the best. I do not like the X trigger at all and replace those with Timney. If this discussion is about factory rifles that is my favorite. I think a tactical bolt, a little longer would be a great addition.

I have two one is a sako vixen with a mannlicher stock in 222 mag, and the other is what I think is the original ultra light production rifle, a Browning safari grade rifle on the sako Forrester action. Originaly in 243 Win, I had the barrel rebored and chambered to 257 Ackley, I have a number of custom rifles to cover everything from ground squirrels and colored to elk or brown bear, both in light weight stainless and synthetic models to finely stocked English and bastogne walnut, but these two I would never give up.

Attachments

• DSCN0358-2.jpg
    DSCN0358-2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0347-3.jpg
    DSCN0347-3.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 31
Just buy a hunter and put a light weight aftermarket stock on it. Cut the barrel to 18in.
The barreled actions are the same.

Mpi makes a decent stock but I don't like the way they do the magazine. Cutting a barrel threading it, plus stock and a hunter leave me more than the Adirondack was when last sold, substantially so. And still have a magazine solution not much better than an rar. If kimber would sneak out a bunch of mag boxes it would be more viable.

I have enjoyed this thread immensely. Some helpful responses. And the usual comedy of recommendations for rifles that have been out of production for 50 years (like that helps you any).

I was surprised and somewhat pleased to see so many recommendations for Winchester 70. To be honest, it is a great rifle if you are able to do the alterations needed to make it shoot. Mine got a new trigger, a recessed target crown and Acraglass bedding with a lot of experimentation to make it the consistent 1/3 MOA rifle that it is. So, Not an out of the box production rifle...but if you are willing to do the work, it can be really good eventually.

But if you want a PRODUCTION rifle that shoots good out of the box, Here's how I might rank them.

#1 Sauer 100 in any of the many stocks offered. Bargain no matter how you choose. Mauser M18 is made in same factory with same action/barrel but has a synthetic stock that some may not like. But these rifles shoot way less than 1/3 MOA. All three of mine shoot so well that I am quite certain many here would not believe it unless they personally witnessed it.

#2 Bergara Premier models, Browning X-Bolt models. Which one shoots better probably varies from one rifle to the next; but both pretty good.

Anyway, all three are in current production, so you could actually buy them.