Votes: 59 9.5%
  • 6.5-47 Lapaua

Votes: 51 8.2%
  • 6.5-06

Votes: 48 7.8%
  • Other

Votes: 198 32.0%

• Total voters
From the reported misses I've read about here on this forum with 4k$ rifles. I would say that being a better shot was more learning to shoot than it is buying more expensive rifles and scopes.

If a guy has a need for speed, great. Whindoner. I'de rather spend my $$$ on primers, powder, brass and bullets.
The more experience will equate to more hits on game in real world hunting situations. .

I got into longer range shooting to put more fur in the sled. But, that's just me.

I guess we all have reasons we like our favorite round. I like the 6.5mm-06 because you get the best of all worlds. ported, the recoil is very manageable, availability of really good brass that's easy to size. the 6.5mm ballistics are awesome and you can send a heavy bullet (140 gr)with a BC of well over 500 down field at more than 3000fps. it just seems to be the perfect round (except maybe the 6.5mm-06 AI if you don't mind fiddling with fire forming). :D

From the reported misses I've read about here on this forum with 4k$ rifles. I would say that being a better shot was more learning to shoot than it is buying more expensive rifles and scopes.

If a guy has a need for speed, great. Whindoner. I'de rather spend my $$$ on primers, powder, brass and bullets.
The more experience will equate to more hits on game in real world hunting situations. .

I got into longer range shooting to put more fur in the sled. But, that's just me.

Point taken. but not at 800 yards.

I guess we all have reasons we like our favorite round. I like the 6.5mm-06 because you get the best of all worlds. ported, the recoil is very manageable, availability of really good brass that's easy to size. the 6.5mm ballistics are awesome and you can send a heavy bullet (140 gr)with a BC of well over 500 down field at more than 3000fps. it just seems to be the perfect round (except maybe the 6.5mm-06 AI if you don't mind fiddling with fire forming). :D

And if you are going to fireform, the 6.5 Sherman will easily out do the A.I...........Rich

Enemies may under estimate you but I'm proud to subscribe to YOUR thread. It is like a rheostat turning the light on slowly for those mighty magnum devotees and expanding our acceptance to things like the 6.5 Sherman. This thread has been one of the most active and long lived I have followed. Good Idea Stud
PS I am watching to see how your barrel nitriding works out…maybe that should be its own thread???

CR, I didn't expect the thread to last this long but I think it is due to the fact that it seems to recycle automatically. I've noticed that with the poll threads.

Anyway, I think it's been a good thread. One of these days I might ask Len to put it to bed and start another one on another cal.

Yeah, the nitride treatment will get another thread as soon as I get my rifles back together which shouldn't be too long. I've had a lot of inquiries on the nitride. The 6-284 is going to be the main rifle I use to flesh out the treatment. I've got over 500 bullets ready to go. I'm hoping to put 1000 rounds through it by summer.

Glad you're enjoying the thread!

I like the nitride on my 30/375 S.I. so far. It got the WEATHER treatment this elk season and nothing phases it! It cleans up really easy and I gained approx. 25'/sec velocity...........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.