Wsm rifle

I hope they stay around I live in the UK and have just purchased a new Winchester coyote light in 325WSM, so we will see what happens.

SOCOM is not "military snipers". None of the 5 uniformed services have any plans to adopt and 6.5 as a sniper rifle.

SOCOM is considering dumping its 7.62x51for 6.5 CMs in few roles. Nothing has been done as the 6.8 cartridge is slated to come on line.

30 and 338 calibers still rule the roost for most snipers.

From Sniper Central dated 2020, here is the USA list: (not a 6.5 to be seen)

M40A1 (USMC)
M40A3 (USMC)
M24SWS (Army & USAF)
M110 SASS (Army)
n/a
n/a
n/a
Barrett XM107/M82A1
XM25

My favorite 300wsm load is the 130 Barnes ttsx at 3500fps. Light recoil and very flat shooting out to 500 yards.
Shep
That is fantastic, my favorite 300Bee load is the 130TSX at 3800fps. My daughter ran this for a few years and really enjoyed it. with the Accubrake and that speed she could see her impact before the gun came off the animal out to 300 yards. Really a solid killer.

300wsm is a dominate 1000yard br cartridge at Williamsport. Still holds the record too. There is one guy using a 300winnie. So if accuacy is your game the wsm is the way to go.
Shep

Just for the record the 300wsm has won Mid-Range Fclass Nationals the last six years in a row. Mid-range used to be 300-600yrds, now it is all 600yrds. I'd say that is a pretty decent statement.

Looks like every branch has ties to it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200519-150122~2.png
    Screenshot_20200519-150122~2.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 92
I could not disagree with the above more!
I personally have never had feeding issues with 3 different WSMs. They certainly are not dead! They have not stopped their record of excellent performance just because a few new cartridges hit the Market.
Pic your favorite rifle manufacturer and I will bet they chamber a WSM.
My favorite is the 270 WSM in a MRC
We have 2 Savages one in 270 WSM and the other in a 300 WSM that is a elk hammer.
I have a 300 wsm I have used without a problem and its taken 3 moose and a elk without any problems and Ive been using 180 accubonds

I read the first two pages of this 8 page thread and then just decided to put up my inputs and move on. I may have missed some good arguments but, whatever - it's a busy day.
I have a Win M70 Ultimate Shadow Stainless in 270 WSM and it feeds very smoothly. In fact, I can stuff the magazine full of empty cases and it'll feed and chamber them all just as slick as loaded rounds. Many rifles won't do that.

Good luck,
Rex

I'm new to long-range hunting and have little experience in rifle choices.
but everyone I've spoken with says a made a good choice in Tikka.
I purchased a Tikka T3 lite in 300 WSM
Sub MOA out of the box.
She does have some fire and a bit of a kick.
I've no doubt it will serve me needs well.
What ammo/weight in factory loads shoot the best?

Anything a 7REM or a 300win will do, a 7wsm will do as well and it'll be shorter while it does it.

.670 BC @ 3190 is nothing to sneeze at.

Looks like every branch has ties to it.

Yes that's true but as I said NONE OF THE 5 SERVICES HAS ADOPTED IT AS ITS SNIPER CARTRIDGE.

The only reason SOCOM looked at it is that it will fit in an AR 10. If the services were really considering a 6.5 for their bolt action sniper rifles the 6.5 PSC or 26 Nosler would be far better. Even a properly load 6.5x55 kicks the CM's butt !

I had two WSM rifle! No issues with them. One was a Sako, the other was a Winchester. Both were in the 7mm WSM, and I know the 7mm is dead to most folks but, I really liked the round. It would do all that my 7mm mag would do. I took two bull elk and many whitetail and mule deer with it. The only thing I seen that was a small problem was brass. At times the 7mm wsm wasn't available, but I would neck up or neck down the 300 or 270 brass and trim it.

The military has a lot of reasons of there own, but I just breezed over Williamsport 1kyd IBS 2019 equipment top lists in LG, 17lb) and find (137) 300WSMs out of (950) guns. A 300WSM finished 4th overall.
I see no 6.5PSC, 26N, 6.5x55, 7mmWSM, or 270 anything competing.
Have no idea why the 7WSM isn't there, nor the 260AI.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.