Sheep Rifle build - 300 WSM

cb4128

I have a Dall Sheep hunt next year and wanted to build a lightweight, compact rifle for this trip and to have in general.

I'm thinking a lone peak fuzion ti medium action, 22" proof barrel 1-9 twist, and not sure on the stock yet.

I like the idea of shooting the 180gr nosler accubonds in case we run into a grizzly, good compromise on BC vs tough construction.

With these parameters in mind, does anyone have experience with loading this caliber with this range of bullet weights? Looking for some real world velocity numbers on 180-200gr bullets in a 20-24" barrel.

Thanks for the help!

I love my 300 wsm, perfect cartridge for your hunt.

Mine is a 24" barrel shooting a 200 grain bullet. (Eldx not Accubond). 2750 muzzle velocity, which I know is low, but it's a one hole load so I haven't really tinkered with it. Absolutely drops caribou/sheep size game. I'd carry it for sheep any day, and alpine griz are not as big as the mammoth coastal brownies. Killed one with a 168 woodleigh from my old 06 and he took 6 steps. 180 accubond would do great.

If you're really concerned for bear or are in a high density area, load some 200 a-frames for hiking and 180 accubonds for once you're out of the alders. Or hike with a friend carrying a 375H&H 🤣

I have a Dall Sheep hunt next year and wanted to build a lightweight, compact rifle for this trip and to have in general.

I'm thinking a lone peak fuzion ti medium action, 22" proof barrel 1-9 twist, and not sure on the stock yet.

I like the idea of shooting the 180gr nosler accubonds in case we run into a grizzly, good compromise on BC vs tough construction.

With these parameters in mind, does anyone have experience with loading this caliber with this range of bullet weights? Looking for some real world velocity numbers on 180-200gr bullets in a 20-24" barrel.

Thanks for the help!
Not in the WSM but shot a lot of accubonds in my 300wm with very good results.

Honestly if Grizzlies are in the area I'd rather carry partitions for maximum penetration.

You won't notice an appreciable difference in accuracy due to BC differences inside of 600yds.

Thanks for the help!
Just thought of this but if you are considering a DBM then one magazine with sheep rounds and another loaded for Bear, Literally.

There is a new ad here for a folding Fierce reaper .300prc I think...pretty sexy!

Put a few bear loads in that sucker and carry it in the brush folded! At least you might get one off from the hip this way. Would hammer the Sheep to as far as is fair to think.

I did a semi custom .300WSM CA Ridgeline in an Alterra stock with a shorter length of pull that is a real dream to carry and mount. 7.5# scoped. Might be an alternative?

What twist in the wsm. I am shooting the 174 hammers and the 166 hammers. I will be trying out the 124 hammers during the summer. The 300wsm is one of my favorite and the h4350 powder is very nice groups with low es
Although mine has the factory 26" barrel

Thanks

Buck

Just thought of this but if you are considering a DBM then one magazine with sheep rounds and another loaded for Bear, Literally.
This is a good idea. I plan to do the same with my 6.5 PRC when I take it for black bear. 156s for where I can see and 160 Woodleighs in the alders where you can't or if you're tracking…

How light are you thinking of going? You can save a bit of weight with a pencil steel barrel over the proof. That said I like the looks of a cf barrel.

If you are shooting under 500y you might want to consider going to a copper mono and pushing it fast. In a 26" barrel I can push a 130ttsx 3570fps. There are a few bullet choices going light. Shooting longer you can run a 200gr up around 2850. From a 22" barrel those speeds are prob 3450/2750ish.

How light are you thinking of going? You can save a bit of weight with a pencil steel barrel over the proof. That said I like the looks of a cf barrel.

If you are shooting under 500y you might want to consider going to a copper mono and pushing it fast. In a 26" barrel I can push a 130ttsx 3570fps. There are a few bullet choices going light. Shooting longer you can run a 200gr up around 2850. From a 22" barrel those speeds are prob 3450/2750ish.
Those would be rather impressive velocities.

He better hope they have the same POI and be able to quickly change mags or grab the correct one when things go sideways. My vote is a heavy for caliber bullet In the 300WSM because of bears....I would lean towards a quality 200gr....Partition, Accubond, Trophy Bonded Tip, Terminal Ascent, Barnes, and no boogers or match bullets.

I'd probably target 190gr Nosler ABLR or similar weight Barnes LRX. It would be throated where the bottom of the bearing surface is even with the base of the neck when touching the lands….as long as that fits in the mag.

9 twist or 10 twist looks good. 22" is short, but that will be more handy.

I would consider 24" barrel. Also, what contour? #2?? or something like a #3 with flutes? CF? I avoid cf myself.

Recent Posts