Wsm rifle

My 75 Finnlight shot 140 accubonds over 3200 FPS. I killed a lot of stuff with that rifle. The only problem was I liked it too much and burned out the barrel.

My 300wsm model 70 went with me to Saskatoon and I shot a 270# deer with a 180 ballistic tip going 3,075 FPS. One shot kill at 280 yards.

there ore only 3 rounds introduced in the last 20 years that are an improvement in what already existed That being the 325 short mag.. the 375 ruger the 416 ruger . and if the 325 was on the 338 case it would be better. and acturlly the 375 and 416 are only another version of the 375 & 416 Taylors that have been here for a while.. almost 100 years ago Newton designed all the new stuff plus. but did not have the powders to make his inventions sing. read P O Ackleys book that is 50 years old. and you will see all the new stuff not so very new.

there ore only 3 rounds introduced in the last 20 years that are an improvement in what already existed That being the 325 short mag.. the 375 ruger the 416 ruger . and if the 325 was on the 338 case it would be better. and acturlly the 375 and 416 are only another version of the 375 & 416 Taylors that have been here for a while.. almost 100 years ago Newton designed all the new stuff plus. but did not have the powders to make his inventions sing. read P O Ackleys book that is 50 years old. and you will see all the new stuff not so very new.
Gross overstatement. No RUMs? 338 Lapua? 224 Valk? I suppose the other WSMs are not an improvement over the LA magnums even though they have a shorter stronger action? So increased rigidity and less OAL are not an improvement. By that logic I guess ultra light stocks or carbon wrapped barrels are not improvements either.

What all did you hunt with the 270wsm if you dont mind me asking I'm looking a a caliber with flatter shooting and little more power out to 500 yards that's still comfortable to shoot
My friend you can shoot anything you want with a .270 WSM....they are flat and fast. We have shot from Moose on down. I was a guide for 10 years and my two partners used .270 on everything. You can shoot one with great confidence and light recoil. 500-750 yards all day long

short mags are sales gimmicks-- what will the 270 wsm do that a 270 winchester will not do?
what will a 7mm short mag do that a 280AI won't do.
what will a 300 wsm do that a 30/06 AI won't do. or get destroyed by the 300 win. what will the 338 rem rum do tha a 338 win won't do
the 375 rum should have been on the 8mm mag or 416 rem mag case foolish disign.
all are just sales gimmicks.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion and can shoot whatever cartridge they want. But it's redonculous to say that the 270 can do what the 270wsm can. 200fps faster and a short action. Let me see you run a 270 through a short action. Can't be done. Same with the 06 comparison. And a 300wsm absolutely does not get destroyed by the 300win mag. If you call 50fps getting destroyed then by all means. But it's using a heck of a lot more powder to do it.338rum is easy 200fps faster. And why would you put
The 375 on a case that is too long and has a belt. The only thing wrong with the Rums is that the 7mm should have been done on the 338case and the 338 should have been done on the 300 case. And the 6.5 Creed is an improvement as is the 300prc. They were made to fit the mag box and have the bullet seated property. Your probably the guy that wouldn't have switched to the 6ppc because it doesn't do anything the 6x47 couldn't do. Yes there had been alot of marketing around the new cartridges but that's because we live in an information age. When the 7mag came out you only knew about it from a magazine or a gunshop now there are countless hunting shows and the big ole internet too to help advertise the new things. I'm surprised your on this site because who needs the internet when you have a set of encyclopedia and the news paper.
Shep

short mags are sales gimmicks-- what will the 270 wsm do that a 270 winchester will not do?
what will a 7mm short mag do that a 280AI won't do.
what will a 300 wsm do that a 30/06 AI won't do. or get destroyed by the 300 win. what will the 338 rem rum do tha a 338 win won't do
the 375 rum should have been on the 8mm mag or 416 rem mag case foolish disign.
all are just sales gimmicks.
The mag performance from a short action is definitely an advantage. I would argue the short mags offer a lot more advantage than the improved cases or variations in standard mag cases by just utilizing the short action. Actually until the WSM/SAUM progress could have stopped with the Weatherby line. With todays powders Roys creations are just about optimum with nice long necks and good Norma brass. I sure wish they would standardize the 65WSM and add just one more gimmick to the bag of tricks, blasphemy, I know.

Roy did forget my favorite one. The 6.5x257wby. Your right about the wbys being optimal. And the shoulder and nice long necks keep the throat from burning out. I get 1200 rounds out of my 257wbys before they are gone. And thats running them hard. Plus I do have to say the new rpm is going to be necked up and down every which way to Sunday. I've been saying since it came out that it would be perfect for a 7mm. Would be the 280ai on steroids.
I hope some of the new brass companies start making rpm brass.
Shep

"I could not disagree with the above more!
I personally have never had feeding issues with 3 different WSMs. They certainly are not dead!"

@sedancowboy I totally agree with you. Even the 7mm RSAUM are still around too. I have some WSM's with my 270 WSM being my favorite but I just noticed Norma has factory discontinued the WSM line from their offerings. Luckily I have a enough for me and my sons but I bought a bunch as back up. Hopefully ADG will make them soon... that would be great.
Remington,Savage, and Browning are only making 270 and 300 WSM rifles. If you want one you have to special order it. Browning has some 325 and 7 mm WSM left but when they are gone, there gone. If you want a WSM from the 3 companies you have to special order it. They don't keep them in stock. If you want ammo for them you pretty much have to reload. You can still fine WSM ammo you just have to be willing to wait. I thank that's what the above person meant WSM is pretty much faded out.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.