Wsm rifle

So, because people are scared of something they don't know, don't know if they'll be able to find ammo, don't know how to reload, don't actually know what a WSM is means they're dead and irrelevant? Look, I get it, they don't sell a lot, they don't sell a lot of a lot of different calibers, that doesn't meant we should all be shooting 223s and 308s. Where the hell is the fun in that?
Amen

To me the "WSM" is far from dead. And haven't seen my friend ever have trouble with his. Admittedly I'm a 300 win mag fan, but I also am never happy with just 1 rifle, lol.
This year my project was a 260ai built on a Terminus Zeus action, but an itch for a 7wsm bit just as the 260ai project was wrapping up. Brass for the 7wsm was easy to find and the price was even easier to stomach although the Winchester brass quality suffers I can sort it to make them shoot. My 7wsm will be built on a Badger Ordnance 2013 using a Bartlein 8tw m24/40 contour barrel nestled into a KRG W3 Chassis. The ballistics for the caliber (on paper) are steller and I will mimic my friends load data. The one my friend has is built on a magazine-fed Winchester action and that rifle seems to run like a swiss watch and It absolutely hammers.
Yup

I've had two .300 WSM and a .270 WSM. Kimber, HS Precision and Stiller actions. All fed and functioned just fine. Currently planning another.300 WSM on either a defiance XM length action or a Remington LA.

Comparing my 7mm WSM to my 300 WM comes down to recoil. There's no question I prefer the 7mm WSM. Granted a 168 gr pill with less powder is going to have less recoil than a 180 gr pill with more powder behind it but the 300 WM has a sharpness to its recoil that other magnums I've shot don't have. A dozen rounds down range with the 300 WM and I'm done but with my 7mm WSM I can shoot 20+ rounds down range and not develop a flinch. Neither rifle has a break, both have 26" barrels and I generally shoot prone. I've also recently developed a feeding issue with my Browning in 300 WM and have never had a issue with my Winchester M70 in 7mm WSM. YMMV

I have a new Sako Finnlight in 300wsm, I'd like to hear from those who have been shooting the same rifle/caliber as to which factory ammo/weight/Bullet type is the most accurate hunting round, thanks for your help.

When I bought my setup I was doing a lot of business travel and had no time, so I got a package . . . Swaro Z3 scoped 85 Finnlight 300 wsm, with a brake, sighted in and tested by a pro.

He did best with Winchester Ballistic Silvertip . . . 150 and 180 both grouped 1.2" at 200 yds. Federal Trophy Copper 180 grouped almost twice that size. I never goofed with any others, I just buy his best performer. They cost more but I don't shoot enough to make that a decision factor. Between sighting, practicing, and hunting I shoot maybe 100 rounds a year if that. So at .40 difference per round I'm talking $40 a year.

Last edited:
I have a 6.5 and 300 WSM built on Remington SA neither have a feeding problem. I also own a 7 WSM built on Surgeon without feeding problems . 325 WSM Kimber feeds no problem.

I just recently built a 270wsm using a Bighorn Origin action. The WSM is only dead to the haters...JMO....My buddy has 4 300wsm 3 are X-Bolts and 1 A-Bolt and has 3 25wssm A-Bolts and none have a feeding issue. He had a 300wsm in a Tikka and.feels the Brownings shoot better than the other brands...JHO tho. He's dropped a lot of animals with those calibers 10 deer, 6 bears and 2 elk and 2 bears were dropped by his son shooting the 25wssm and 100g ttsx.

When I bought it my Sako 85 Finnlight 300 wsm I was doing a lot of business travel and had no time, so I got a package . . . Swaro Z3 scoped Finnlight, with a brake, sighted in and tested by a pro. He did best with Winchester Ballistic Silvertip . . . 150 and 180 both got 1.2" groups at 200 yds. Federal Trophy Copper 180 got groups almost twice that size. I never goofed with any others, I just buy his best performer. They cost more but I don't shoot enough to make that a decision factor. Between sighting, practicing, and hunting I shoot maybe 100 rounds a year if that. So at .40 difference per round I'm talking $40 a year.
Be really careful eith the 150 wich. My first hunt with my then new 300 wsm i shot a big doe at about 80 in center of shoulder. Thought she was dead. When i followed up lost bloid after about 40 yds and tracks were in herd of 20 or so deer lost her. Found her that pm when doing a drive, about 400 yds from where shot, big gaping 6 in cratervon rt shoulder. Never penetrated the scapula into the vitals. If using factory ammo use 180 gr or better find a good monolithic. I reload and have found barnes 168 ttsx to be the ticket! Shoots about .6 moa and is a real killer. Over 150 animals, 21 trips to africa plus deer, bear and elk here at home. Have used on 3 1500 lb eland, all one shot kills. There is no magic, but this is my go to rifle. I just have confidence in this combo!

My model 70 in 270WSM feeds like a dream. Never had any feed or ejection issues. I stocked up on Norma brass, have a few hundred rounds still virgin brass. I have reloaded Winchester and Federal brass up to 4 times with no signs of failure.

if it goes bang and hit the target then it is good for you.. However for hunting the 300 win mag has more range and energy- 7mm mag the same thing. the best of the wsm is the 325 is really a 323 or 8mm because of the energy it develops and with a 200 gr. bullet it will stop the biggest and badist animals in NA

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.