Wsm rifle

To me the "WSM" is far from dead. And haven't seen my friend ever have trouble with his. Admittedly I'm a 300 win mag fan, but I also am never happy with just 1 rifle, lol.
This year my project was a 260ai built on a Terminus Zeus action, but an itch for a 7wsm bit just as the 260ai project was wrapping up. Brass for the 7wsm was easy to find and the price was even easier to stomach although the Winchester brass quality suffers I can sort it to make them shoot. My 7wsm will be built on a Badger Ordnance 2013 using a Bartlein 8tw m24/40 contour barrel nestled into a KRG W3 Chassis. The ballistics for the caliber (on paper) are steller and I will mimic my friends load data. The one my friend has is built on a magazine-fed Winchester action and that rifle seems to run like a swiss watch and It absolutely hammers.

Hello all Ivhave been reading about couple different wsm calibers and rifles and have seen alot of people say they have feeding problems I am wondering what brand and model rifles in wsm are good rifles that do not have feeding problems.
Thanks

I have a 300SAUM or rsaum which is the remington sa magnum. I shoot it out of a Remington 700 26" barrel. I did get heavy bolt lift but it was not the rifle but the ammo. What happened is that the magical 3000fps mark that all manufacturers want to sell you is too hot, at least for core locks which is the only ammo that is/was available.

Therefore, I started reloading and I'm very accurate with rifle now. Sub MOA at 500 yds which is my longest range available.

Attachments

• 20191106_162526.jpg
    20191106_162526.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 108
When the WSM and the Saum were introduced I couldn't stand the thought of them . What was wrong with the regular 300 win or 7 mag ? Why change what isn't broken.
I own many Magnum rifles in all shapes and sizes and way more powerful than any of the short Mags. I did however eventually purchase a short mag and that lead to me purchasing one or three of each caliber made in them. There is nothing that the bigger magnums can kill inside 700 yards that the short mags can't too with less recoil . The Shorties will punch paper well past 1000 if you do your part.
I have seen a many $10,000 dollar super magnums fail in the field to a wsm
Not that the rifle failed but the shooter didn't have the skills to use his equipment .

I have some 300 wsm and 300 win mag rifles. The 300 wsm has less recoil and takes less powder to do what I could do with the win mag. I built a 300 wsm on a long action Savage receiver and had it chambered for the longer bullets. 27" medium weight barrel with a 1 in 8 twist and it will out shoot my 24" 300 Mag. If the win mag had the extra barrel length it would be about equal. The wsm custom is my go to rifle for long range on class 3 game. The one in my avatar is the custom 300 wsm that I built on a ar-10 format. It is also a tac driver but I can't seat he longer bullets as I am limited to the mag length. But it does well with the 190 Accubond as seen in the photo with it. No feeding issues with any of them even the AR10.

I have a similar experience, I have them all, short mags, long mags, and some of my favorite old 30-06 and 25-06's, and most everything in between. I reload for them all, and find that they all shoot exactly the same..... right at the limit of my ability to shoot them. I should have spent more money on ammo and range time and less on buying more rifles.......

M-70 Featherweight 270 WSM. No feeding problems at all. I use bullets from 90 to 150 grains. I would not be put off by the stories of feeding problems.

I could not disagree with the above more!
I personally have never had feeding issues with 3 different WSMs. They certainly are not dead! They have not stopped their record of excellent performance just because a few new cartridges hit the Market.
Pic your favorite rifle manufacturer and I will bet they chamber a WSM.
My favorite is the 270 WSM in a MRC
We have 2 Savages one in 270 WSM and the other in a 300 WSM that is a elk hammer.

its still on the norma web page-- i see the 25 packs are discontinued, the 100 packs still seem to be out there, just out f stock--if you look hard enough you can still find it though, or just buy loaded ammo and shoot or pull for brass--almost as cheap
Hi.
300 wsm brass is no problem to buy in Sweden😃 NO shortage at all.
Most likely a distributor problem in US.

I have an HS Precision in .300 WSM that shoots the Barnes 165gr TTSX factory ammo extremely well. Never a feed hiccup. I have a lifetime supply of ammo and it's good for anything I might ever point the rifle at, so I've never reloaded for it.

I had a Kimber in .270 WSM that wouldn't feed worth a ****. However, that had everything to do with the Kimber and nothing to do with the cartridge.

I have a 300WSM in a Ruger Mark II, no feeding issues and pleasant to shoot. I also have a 270WSM in a model 70 Featherweight also no feeding issues. I really like both and have killed deer and elk with each one. Ammo isn't really an issue either I just order what I need off the internet and it shows up 4-5 days later....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.