700 SPS 270 WSM donor rifle

IndianaMatt

I recently purchased a Rem 700 SPS in 270 WSM to use as a donor rifle.

I have flip flopped several times over what direction I want to go with it.

Right now I own a Remington 799 in .222, a 700 clone in .284 Win, and Cooper in 6.5x284.

I am looking to build a light weight hunting rig in a short magnum. I originally wanted to stay with 270 WSM but now I'm leaning towards 7 SAUM.

I also have a Model 7 magnum action I will build off of someday. I would like to build these 2 rifles in the same cartridge if or when that day comes.

The length of the 6.5 bullets rules them out for me being these are both short action receivers.

So what are your thoughts and opinions.

Oh yea and I'm looking at spend someplace south of 2k on this build not including the donor rifle or optics.

Personally, I think you are over thinking this! "Flip Flop's are, to be worn !
The .270 WSM or, 7 Saum, are both GREAT Cart's and with, the "RIGHT" Bullets, they will Kill, Deer, Moose and Elk, to 650-700 Yards with, "GOOD",.. bullet "placement"! If you still have, the Barrel, I'd Pillar Glass Bed the Action, into an HS Precision Sporter stock,.. or other stk of your choice, put on, a Limb Saver Pad, Bed the first, 1.5" to 1 3/4" of bbl "shank", " Free Float the Bbl, put a Timney Trigger on it, Buy or, build a Kydex cheek riser or, Nylon cheek rest, break the bbl in carefully and,.. SHOOT IT ! There are tons of "Hunters" shooting, the .270 WSM's ! Use any Money saved from, "my plan",.. to buy, good Bench Rest, Forster Dies, Bullets, Brass, etc. and put GOOD Scope & Mount's on it ! Just doing this will cost a few $$$ But, a New Barrel, TRUING action and Chambering to 7 Saum, would cost quite a bit more ( about $1,000 more). The .270 WSM, shoots 140-150 grain Bullets, real well and is pretty FAST & FLAT shooting with, very reasonable recoil! AND you can buy, Factory Ammo ! If you go another "Route" be prepared to get your Wallet and Calculator, out ! Most Elk, are shot UNDER 400 yards and the TWO we shot this Fall, with 2 shots, DIDN'T ask, WHAT, Caliber was that ?? Hope this help's !

Last edited:
I've found the .270 WSM to be one of the best, most versatile calibers I've owned. Had a 7mm WSM as well but the availability of brass and factory ammo for the .270 WSM is far superior.

7 SAUM is a great choice. Will work nicely in short actions. More bullet choices and weights than the 270. Go with your gut.

IF,.. "South of, $2,000 Budget, with Scope and ALL,.. GO with your Calculator,.. NOT your, "Gut" !!! Call some GOOD Gunsmith's for Prices,.. BEFORE you start, the project! It doesn't take, a "Cannon" to Kill an Elk at, "reasonable" ranges !
An accurate Rifle and LOTS of PRACTICE are REQUIRED for, repeatable success, in the Field, SO, pick a Caliber that you can "Shoot" & practice with,.. a LOT

I was meaning 2k not including optic. Basically I'm looking at spending 2k on a barrel, stock, and smith work.

I have the opportunity to purchase a #3 Lilja .277 3 groove barrel for a very reasonable price.

I am also leaning towards a Greyboe or MC3 stock which are very reasonably priced. I keep scouring the classifieds and auction sites for a McMillian or Manners.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.