Affordable starter/donor rifle

Ntsqd, a few of us have been playing with accuracy particulars for years. Many of us believe that the way in which the barrel is indicated in prior to chambering is where the much of the accuracy is attained, Getting the bullet started straight in the action.

Barrel analysis with uniform bore dimension, then indicating the barrel in to the .0001 is where many of us feel the accuracy is attained.

I have used non trued Ruger 77's, Savage 110's, 12's, Winchester pre and post, and many Remingtons. Accuracy is astounding to say the least when a barrel's chamber has .0003 and less run out in the throat on a finished chamber.

Good stocks, good bedding, freefloated barrel is a given prior to ever firing a shot on the gun.

Savages continue to amaze, and 783's are so true they trump many custom actions.

It is nice to have a good gunsmith/machinist as a friend.

One thing to remember, the Rem 700s and Wins have a separate bolt head on the body of the bolt. The bolt heads on these two actions are rated at 150,000 PSI!

Borden Actions are my favorite, and Jim Borden knows how to put a rifle together.

I am very sure that I'm not the first to think about using the center-line of the action's barrel tenon threads as the base-line for squaring the action, but it was a new idea to me and I've not seen it mentioned much less discussed. Maybe with good reason and maybe not.
Assuming that it is a valid idea then the relatively inexpensive tools sold for squaring a Savage action make one of them a very good choice for a starter rifle.

FWIW, 150,000 psi is the tensile strength of the extremely common SAE Grade 5 hex head bolt. It sounds like a big number, but in the world of high strength steels it really isn't.

I am very sure that I'm not the first to think about using the center-line of the action's barrel tenon threads as the base-line for squaring the action, but it was a new idea to me and I've not seen it mentioned much less discussed. Maybe with good reason and maybe not.
Assuming that it is a valid idea then the relatively inexpensive tools sold for squaring a Savage action make one of them a very good choice for a starter rifle.

FWIW, 150,000 psi is the tensile strength of the extremely common SAE Grade 5 hex head bolt. It sounds like a big number, but in the world of high strength steels it really isn't.
Agreed. Important to remember that many of the one piece bolts do not have the strength of a 1 piece bolt. A friend that is a NASA engineer is coming out with a book on actions and their strengths as tested under lab Conditions. How actions vent gases from a gross over load is another issue.

Funny you say that, my ruger American predator that he killed his buck with in 6.5 CM is incredibly accurate, it's actually quite frustrating. I won it at a banquet dinner and I already had a vortex viper laying around, paid $100 for rings…. And it shoots 1/2-5/8" consistently with hornady superformance… and it's light!

So, I have no reason to actually do a rifle build for him, other than he thinks that my custom is the bees knees and I want to develop a really cool reward system for him as he ages.

I guess I should ask this… is there a manufacturer making a carbon fiber stock for ruger American? How easy can the barrel/trigger be swapped? I've never heard of anyone using a ruger to start from.
I wouldn't be in too big a hurry to swap out a barrel that's currently shooting that well! Timney and JARD triggers are readily available. I haven't shopped replacement stocks but I'm sure there will be tons of options to choose from that fit the American.

As much as I used to be a Savage fan, with the ease and quality of after market "Remage" barrels I'd stick with the Rem700 footprint for to far, far superior aftermarket support. I just ordered two more Remage McGowen barrels.

Remington stuff itself is in a bad spot right now but others now use the same action footprint.

I actively search for the older model.10/110 (pre accu trigger).
These have easily tuned triggers, down to about 2lb barrels can be swapped in under 30 minutes. Along with bolt heads that can be swapped in minutes. If for a younger shooter 6mm Creedmoor or 6.5 and 7mm-08 are all fantastic choices.
My latest project is a model 10 that i paid $350 for. I Rebarreled to 6mm Creed. Shooting Hornady Black $26 a box I was able to put a string of 7 shots in 1 hole @ 100 yds. A new best for me..
Plenty of good suggestions here. I might look at a Tikka also. Have yet to try one but heard good things..

I am about to buy an old long-action Savage in 223, possibilities abound! Tikka equals metric threads, less options on upgrades.

The 783's are machined as true as the Bat actions that I have checked. I modified a jig to upgrade that flat bolt knob to a custom bolt knob, 783's have the fastest lock time of any action on the market, other than 788s. They also have a metal mag box. However, there are no bragging rights with a 783. Needless to say, I love the long-action 783s. I use Boyd's stocks, and tune the triggers myself.

Pride of ownership is always an issue, but as long as they shoot bug holes, I am more than happy. I have a lot of Hall and Panda actions for customs, and a Borden is absolutely the top of the line. It is humbling to know how much money I have wasted on 1000-1200 actions when a savage would have done the same job, had an itch had to scratch.

I have played with truing rem 700s, and there is not much of any accuracy improvement between the two, I will never true another of my own actions...I am not a gunsmith....working for others is a no-no on anything with a serial number.

At this stage of my life, I like doing the most with the least, my 3 Savages in Non Competition shooting will humble most with customs Shooting very tiny groups, and as a former competitive benchrest shooter, I certainly know what small groups are.

More often than not, the guy that knows how to read a simple wind flag will shoot small, simple left and right wind pick up and let ups.

Last edited: