Cheaper starter rifle?

MtPockets

Hi all,
I am in the market for a cheaper (say, $500 or so and down) rifle to give a new shooter.
What are the better lower end guns out there right now? I have seen enough poor quality Remington junk that will not be considering them, but pretty much wide open on other brands.
He was leaning towards a Ruger American, but I just wasn't that impressed. Are all the cheaper guns going to be about the same?
I'm currently leaning towards a decent used gun, but I'm just wondering if there are still decent lower end guns out there?
Probably looking at a .243 or 6.5 Creed.
Thanks in advance!

Ron

Ruger American rifle in 243. I have used this on multiple deer in the last couple years. My sister killed her first deer with it last season. It's a .75 moa rifle with factory federal 100gr SP. I bet if I'd handload for it I could get .25 or .50 moa really easy. I know it has a cheap stock but it's worked for me.

Hi all,
I am in the market for a cheaper (say, $500 or so and down) rifle to give a new shooter.
What are the better lower end guns out there right now? I have seen enough poor quality Remington junk that will not be considering them, but pretty much wide open on other brands.
He was leaning towards a Ruger American, but I just wasn't that impressed. Are all the cheaper guns going to be about the same?
I'm currently leaning towards a decent used gun, but I'm just wondering if there are still decent lower end guns out there?
Probably looking at a .243 or 6.5 Creed.
Thanks in advance!

Ron
A $500 rifle is going to feel cheap no matter what it is.
I held a ruger American predator the other day and it's super slopy, the stock is flimsy and the bolt is ridiculously loose and rough.
I would definitely pony up another $150 and buy a Tikka 6.5 creedmoor, it's much more than an entry level rifle, and the best deal out there in my opinion.
You should be able to find a used one closer to $500 but probably not a 6.5

I have two of the Ruger Americans and they are good rifles, BUT one thing that could really cause a problem for a new hunter is this: If you are hunting with a round in the chamber and the safety on, the bolt can still be cycled. What can happen is if the bolt gets bumped up about 1/4-1/2 inch, when the safety is pushed to fire and the shooter pulls the trigger----CLICK, no bang.
The bolt has to be lifted up to re-cock for the round to be fired. The first time this happened to me I paused for a second thinking hang fire, then cycled the bolt and killed the patient coyote. The second time it happened I knew something was up and took some time to figure out the problem. I have used a rubber band around the trigger guard and up to the bolt to hold it down, but now I've hunted with them enough that I just make sure the bolt is fully down before firing.
It's because of this that I bought my daughter in law a Thompson Center Compass. It has the three position safety like a Win Mod 70, so the safety can be left on when unloading the rifle, and no problem like the Ruger. The TC is not perfect, but it does have the threaded muzzle and hers shoots pretty darn good.
With this in mind, maybe a Win Mod 70, or the TC, or best yet a base model Tikka. The Tikka is a two position safety but it bolt locks and they are awesome out of the box.

I've got 2 of the Savage 12 FV from cabelas, 22-250 and .223 both were stupid cheap and both shoot very nice groups. As others have said they do feel cheap, stock ain't too impressive, but they get the job done. I got them both with the intention of eventually doing some type of build off them so I dont mind how they came out of the box. And I've never even held a nice custom so I have the luxury of not knowing what I'm missing out on.

i wasn't too impressed when i looked at my sons 350 dollar Savage he brought home. 300 win mag. then i shot it, used it a little, very impressive. can shoot one hole. i bought the better version for 655. 338 win mag. one hole gun right out of the box, didn't even adjust the trigger. Savage is the best value out there.

And I've never even held a nice custom so I have the luxury of not knowing what I'm missing out on.

That's funny! I say the same thing every time someone offers to let me take their bike (motorcycle) for a ride! I like my 30 year old bike, and never wish for a new one.

Ok, maybe 'never' isn't quite accurate- but nearly so.

just looked. Buds has a Savage in the beloved 6.5 Creedmoor for 275 dollars, shipped! that's like a sore dick, you can't beat it! lol

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.