Cheaper starter rifle?

I was looking to try a 6.5 cm (bandwagon) and handled a Savage 10sba and a Remington 700 ADL tactical. The 700 was $450 and the Savage was $325. I have to say, the 700 felt much better. I still may get the Savage if I can stomach it, the 700 really felt that much nicer. Hoping to hear others thoughts.

Thanks for all the responses. I will be taking a drive to Cabelas and Scheels soon to check them all out.
CF, maybe I'll even take a look at a new Rem, too. I was very much a Remington fan boy for many years, but the last few that I've seen totally turned me off.

Thanks for all the responses. I will be taking a drive to Cabelas and Scheels soon to check them all out.
CF, maybe I'll even take a look at a new Rem, too. I was very much a Remington fan boy for many years, but the last few that I've seen totally turned me off.
I heard it all too, that is why i actually went to the store to check out the Savage, I have always been a Remington guy. But after holding them both side by side, the 700 felt that much better. Both had heavy threaded barrels too. The Savage also felt much heavier.

Yes remington has had some qc issues theres no doubt, but the basic 700s that are in your price range are still miles ahead of a savage axis or ruger american. In my opinion they are way ahead of the savage 10/110/12 too. I just really cant stand the look and feel of a savage, but i know they shoot, i just wouldnt put money in a sows ear thats not gonna look any better no matter what you do. With the 700 you are still gettimg the same basic action and barrel that comes with much more expensive models. You have a huge aftermarket to build it out anyway you want and the only thing that needs done right away is maybe a trigger and you can buy old style tunable triggers for $50, just my opinion

We've seen more & more shooters up here in our area showing up with Ruger American's, Savage Axis's & Remmy 783's,,, they all shoot good out of the box for what the value is of them.

The odd one has some chambering issues,,, but very rare.

Those rubber stocks aren't any worse then my factory Remmy SPS stock. Ha. A quick work over will fix that issue for my unit.

There might be more budget rifles in our area if our deflated dollar keeps dropping,,, the average person would never shoot a barrel out in 20 to 40 years if they use it for hunting only.

Hi all,
I am in the market for a cheaper (say, $500 or so and down) rifle to give a new shooter.
What are the better lower end guns out there right now? I have seen enough poor quality Remington junk that will not be considering them, but pretty much wide open on other brands.
He was leaning towards a Ruger American, but I just wasn't that impressed. Are all the cheaper guns going to be about the same?
I'm currently leaning towards a decent used gun, but I'm just wondering if there are still decent lower end guns out there?
Probably looking at a .243 or 6.5 Creed.
Thanks in advance!

Ron
Savage is the way to go. You can buy the model 11 trophy hunter xp with a nikon bdc scope for under $500. Have purchased two - one in 243 for my daughter and one in 6.5 creedmoor for my son. I have upgraded optics and stocks over the last few years, but neither of those really improved accuracy, just made them look cooler for the kids and gave them some more magnification. Both of those guns have been tackdrivers right out of the box.

I have always avoided the lower end savage stuff like the axis - for a little more you can get an 11 or 110. Also, their new accufit stocks are pretty awesome.

I just picked up a Mauser 18 in 6.5 prc for $480. I was also looking at the tikka t3 for $499. Both looks pretty good for the price.

Hi all,
I am in the market for a cheaper (say, $500 or so and down) rifle to give a new shooter.
What are the better lower end guns out there right now? I have seen enough poor quality Remington junk that will not be considering them, but pretty much wide open on other brands.
He was leaning towards a Ruger American, but I just wasn't that impressed. Are all the cheaper guns going to be about the same?
I'm currently leaning towards a decent used gun, but I'm just wondering if there are still decent lower end guns out there?
Probably looking at a .243 or 6.5 Creed.
Thanks in advance!

Ron
If your looking for a good light long barreled hunting rifle you can find a Browning Xbolt in your price range they shoot super accurate

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.