Cheaper starter rifle?

I've had a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor for 3 years now. It shot so well with factory ammo that I didn't start to reload till last summer. When I did reload everything would shoot a group under an inch at a hundred yards (3 shot groups) and many reloads groups under 1/2 inch. I've never had a malfunction and it's very light to carry around. I've shot 3 deer with it now and I really like it. The stock does look cheap but it works flawlessly for me.

Bass Pro Shop has a Rem. 700 ADL Varmit in 6.5 Creedmore for 399.97.
Midway has a H&S Precision ADL Varmit stock for 400.00.
I know it is above your entry price.
But would give you a good base to work from. If you luck out and get a good factory barrel, A good cheap set up. A good stock and action to start from if you want to add later.

About 2 years ago I wanted a .223 Rem. play rifle. Bought a 700 Rem Varmit 223. Cabela's sale rifle. Added an H&S Precision stock. A lay around bench 700 trigger. Rail and rings and a 6X18 Leopold scope. It shoots 1/4 " groups with Hornady V-Max. 4 in one hole.
Its your money good luck with your personal choice.

The Ruger American Predator is a great inexpensive rifle. I had a 6.5 Creed RAP and it regularly shot 1/2 MOA with Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M factory ammo.

->I put a Timney trigger on it which helped with accuracy consistency. Best mod you can make for that rifle.
->I also put a Boyd's Classic laminated stock on it. That mod made it look and feel like a much more expensive rifle. And it still shot 1/2 MOA.

Then I became enamored of the Browning X-Bolt Pro so I sold the RAP and Boyd's stock separately and bought the X-Bolt Pro - for a LOT more money, as in $1.300. more. :eek:(
But it shoots as well as the Ruger did.

This is a photo of that Ruger with the nice Boyd's stock.

Eric B.

Attachments

• P3300359.JPG
    P3300359.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 184
Last edited:
My Ruger American predator shot very well. I would say that, a tikka or a used 700

I have had a Winchester M70, Tikka T3 Lite, Ruger Mark II. I never considered buying a Remington because when I have looked at them in the store the triggers sucked and they felt cheap.

I ended up buying an ADL 700 in 270 recently because it was a good deal. Well after I adjusted the trigger I really started to like it. Trigger doesn't move at all, just apply pressure and it fires. No creep, no over travel, crisp, and at a perfect weight for me.

I have shot a couple different cheap boxes of ammo in it and the thing shoots both between .6-.8" at 100 yards off a bag. I had planned on rebarreling it to a 280AI but now I have to see what it will do.

I am falling in love with this rifle, I was able to get a Magpul Hunter 700L stock and Magwell for the rifle and it only set me back $260. So many options and accessories that are not to expensive.

If this was the first rifle I had ever bought it would have saved me a lot of money. My Tikka, Ruger, and Winchester have nothing on this rifle. I have shot Savage/Bergara rifles also. I will have under $600 into this rifle and it is better then my $800-$1000 rifles. I can rebarrel it to whatever I want and still be under $1000.

I guess my point is, the other cheap rifles will be more expensive to turn into a nice rifle, if the can ever become a nice rifle. A cheap ADL 700 can become whatever a person wants, and for less money.

When I was looking for inexpensive rifles for my nephews, i did some research and went with tsc ventures in 7mm-08 and both shoot .5 to .75 moa with everything from cheap to premium ammo. My only complaint is the dbm for them to lose.

All my rifles are Rem 700's. The latest was an ADL 26" in 7mm Rem Mag for $399.00. I put a 6-24 Vortex on it and adjusted the trigger, it shoots great.

I reload and with 140gr, 159gr and 154gr bullets it groups 0.54" or better at 100 yds. I am at 1.0" and 1.1" with the 160gr and 162 gr bullets so I am still working on these and I still have to find a load for some 175gr bullets I have.

No need to spend a ton of money

My wife has a Remington 700 in .243 that I've played with. My brother had bought a Remington 700 in .308 with the heavy barrel and when he put a magpul stock on it, he gave me the factory stock so the .243 is floated well with a little nicer stock. We built a handload for it and it shoots 1/2 moa at 100 yards. It's the perfect gun, IMO, for whitetail in Texas. I've shot several deer with it. Shot a doe last season at about 175 yds and she only went about 20 yds.

My brother has a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor and I just bought one in 300 win mag. They aren't perfect but I think they're plenty good for what they cost. His is dialed in and shoots really well and I'll be starting on a load for mine this weekend. I topped mine with a Nikon Black x1000 4-16 and he's got a Vortex HST 4-16. Both are great scopes for about $500. I really like that the Ruger has an adjustable trigger from the factory.

I've also got an older (made in 50s or 60s) Remington 700 in 30-06 that has always been a reliable, accurate gun with factory ammo. It was handed down to me from my dad.

None of these guns are going to feel like a high end rifle but they're not designed for that. They're decent, reliable guns that are budget friendly. Just buy good optics and build a load if you're setup for that and I think you'll be happy.

My wife has a Remington 700 in .243 that I've played with. My brother had bought a Remington 700 in .308 with the heavy barrel and when he put a magpul stock on it, he gave me the factory stock so the .243 is floated well with a little nicer stock. We built a handload for it and it shoots 1/2 moa at 100 yards. It's the perfect gun, IMO, for whitetail in Texas. I've shot several deer with it. Shot a doe last season at about 175 yds and she only went about 20 yds.

My brother has a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor and I just bought one in 300 win mag. They aren't perfect but I think they're plenty good for what they cost. His is dialed in and shoots really well and I'll be starting on a load for mine this weekend. I topped mine with a Nikon Black x1000 4-16 and he's got a Vortex HST 4-16. Both are great scopes for about $500. I really like that the Ruger has an adjustable trigger from the factory.

I've also got an older (made in 50s or 60s) Remington 700 in 30-06 that has always been a reliable, accurate gun with factory ammo. It was handed down to me from my dad.

None of these guns are going to feel like a high end rifle but they're not designed for that. They're decent, reliable guns that are budget friendly. Just buy good optics and build a load if you're setup for that and I think you'll be happy.

Hi Cole, I disagree a bit with you that these won't feel like high end guns, at least for me they do. The shoot very accurately once you find the right load or factory ammo. The Remington 700's have adjustable triggers and they have a crisp break with no creep and I agree that you need a decent scope. I've never bought or used a hunting rifle that has cost more than $900 for the rifle and scope all together, I have done an upgrade or two later like a better stock or scope.

A buddy of mine has a more expensive Rem 700 and an even more expensive Bergara, they both shoot just as good as mine.

And your dad's gun, priceless, those are the best ones, I bet it's lots of fun to shoot that rifle.

All you need is a trained or well prepared guy or gal behind these rifles, that's it. I believe the work and dedication you put in to finding the right load and making that gun shoot really good is what makes the rifle valuable. Just my opinion, that's all.

Best Regards

LVJ76

Hi Cole, I disagree a bit with you that these won't feel like high end guns, at least for me they do. The shoot very accurately once you find the right load or factory ammo. The Remington 700's have adjustable triggers and they have a crisp break with no creep and I agree that you need a decent scope. I've never bought or used a hunting rifle that has cost more than $900 for the rifle and scope all together, I have done an upgrade or two later like a better stock or scope.

A buddy of mine has a more expensive Rem 700 and an even more expensive Bergara, they both shoot just as good as mine.

And your dad's gun, priceless, those are the best ones, I bet it's lots of fun to shoot that rifle.

All you need is a trained or well prepared guy or gal behind these rifles, that's it. I believe the work and dedication you put in to finding the right load and making that gun shoot really good is what makes the rifle valuable. Just my opinion, that's all.

Best Regards

LVJ76
I just meant that the budget guns may not feel or look as nice as the higher ends...stock, bolt, etc. I totally agree that they're not lacking in quality of trigger or accuracy.

As for the 06, I love shooting that gun. It was given to me as my first deer rifle of my own and I've taken quite a few deer with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.