Cheaper starter rifle?

Get a Savage as cheap as you can and use it to build on. Barrel swap is easy and your stock of choice as time goes by. Savage is a Big Boys tinker toy.

Hi all,
I am in the market for a cheaper (say, $500 or so and down) rifle to give a new shooter.
What are the better lower end guns out there right now? I have seen enough poor quality Remington junk that will not be considering them, but pretty much wide open on other brands.
He was leaning towards a Ruger American, but I just wasn't that impressed. Are all the cheaper guns going to be about the same?
I'm currently leaning towards a decent used gun, but I'm just wondering if there are still decent lower end guns out there?
Probably looking at a .243 or 6.5 Creed.
Thanks in advance!

Ron

Who are you planning on giving this rifle to, are they large or small framed (small framed, male/female), are they an experienced shooter, what are you/they going to hunt or shoot with the rifle? I've got one of those early (1970) poor quality Remington 700ADLs in 30-06 that I will put up against most rifles for accuracy and reliability. Instead of new, perhaps used might get you a better grade rifle than new.

Hi all,
I am in the market for a cheaper (say, $500 or so and down) rifle to give a new shooter.
What are the better lower end guns out there right now? I have seen enough poor quality Remington junk that will not be considering them, but pretty much wide open on other brands.
He was leaning towards a Ruger American, but I just wasn't that impressed. Are all the cheaper guns going to be about the same?
I'm currently leaning towards a decent used gun, but I'm just wondering if there are still decent lower end guns out there?
Thanks in advance!

Ron
I would look at savage. buy a new or used one, and see how it shoots with its crappy stock. (if it has an accutrigger, its pretty good trigger that you may like) it may shoot lights out and you are done-- but if not-- a cheap upgrade with a hogue or other stock may make it really shoot and you are done if trying to stay within a budget. most factory rifle models are cheap looking, feel cheap but will shoot. pretty is what pretty does. if you want to upgrade to a better barrel later or different caliber, savage allows for easy barrel swaps. savage's floating bolt head design and accutrigger has been copied by other manufacturers. I have heard great things about the tikka, smoother action, but I like the easy barrel swapping capability of a savage. if you consider buying a savage just find out about the model you are looking at since they have made and renamed the models. look on savage shooters forum, because there is lots of info there. disadvantage to savage is less after market stock, trigger and options vs a Remington footprint... but there are a decent amount of after market options for upgrades.

I like my Mossberg patriot in 6.5 creed its around the 350 price range with a synthetic stock the wood stock is a little more

I have a variety of Rugers. I love 'em all. Mini 14 is my go to ranch gun that pretty much live on an ATV. Chambered in .223/5.56 It will dump anything to 150 yds or so. I also have a Ruger American Ranch bolt in the same calibers. It will reach out a little further and is wicked accurate. The Ranch model is a bit shorter than the "full size" rifles. I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmore it also is extremely accurate. It's twin is chambered in .308 and it's also more accurate than I can shoot. No matter what you decide on the Vortex line of scopes are fairly well priced and do exactly what they were designed for. If you can't see it, your not going to hit it.

Savage, 111, Axis, 110 etc. Get a Savage on sale for $250.00 or less and they shoot. Neighbor built a Rem 700 243 with Bartiein barrel with Burris laser scope in 4-16 power. My Axis 243 shoots bug holes and his 1700.00 rifle doesn't no matter different loads we have tried. Anyone shoots the Savage 243 shoots outstanding with factory Fed. ammo.................T/C Compass rifles shoot excellent as well.

I picked up a Ruger american 243 for $200 used for my kid and it has been great. it does 1 moa with the 2 factory loads I've tried, feeding and extraction are smooth and reliable. I think these are the best value out there for an entry level hunting rig.

I also have a TC venture, it's pretty decent too but I'd recommend the Ruger over it as the Ruger has been more accurate and I think the rotary magazine is superior.

Tough to beat a savage 11 or 111 for an entry level gun of good quality though and they can always be had for a good price.

Hi all,
Thanks in advance!

Ron
Tikka and Savage seem to be the most accurate and affordable ! I have both both are excellent rifles !

I'm another savage advocate. Bought my oldest son an axis when he was 11 in 7mm08 he's killed a pile of deer and 3 different black bears. It has yet to not shoot anything we've load into it less than 1 1/4 inch at 100 yards most loads are 3/4 inch . The youngest son has the 116 in 260 rem and it's the same deal bang flop, get to gutting.

T/C compass in 300 win mag shoots .5 moa at 300 yds on sale for $299 added a nikon 3.5-14x50 ffp sf all less than $700. I have taken hogs and wood chucks out to 600 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.