Have a WSM donor. What to build?

It's fast enough for 147eldm. Probably need a 1:7.5 for the 156berger coming out. Call them they probably will do a custom twist rate

Go for the 300 WSM. I have one and it's my dedicated elk rifle. Bullets from 165-200gr are fantastic and lethal. I usually shoot a 180gr Accubond, but switched to the 200gr ELDX bullet last year. Killed a nice 5x5 NM bull elk with that combo. It looked like somebody pulled the rug out from under him. It was bang flop!!
The nice thing about the WSM's is the weight. I have a Sako 75 with a Swarovski Z5 on top of it. Fully loaded with ammo, sling, scope, and bipod is 8.5 lbs. It's a joy to carry up and down the mountains all day when chasing elk.......I never really notice it on my shoulder, which I cannot say about many of the other rifle calibers I own. As far as twist, go with a 1:10 since it will shoot everything well. My Sako is a 1:11 twist and had no problem stabilizing the 200 gr ELDX even though they suggest a 1:10.5 or 1:10 twist rate (can't remember off the top of my head which one)

Go for the 300 WSM. I have one and it's my dedicated elk rifle. Bullets from 165-200gr are fantastic and lethal. I usually shoot a 180gr Accubond, but switched to the 200gr ELDX bullet last year. Killed a nice 5x5 NM bull elk with that combo. It looked like somebody pulled the rug out from under him. It was bang flop!!
The nice thing about the WSM's is the weight. I have a Sako 75 with a Swarovski Z5 on top of it. Fully loaded with ammo, sling, scope, and bipod is 8.5 lbs. It's a joy to carry up and down the mountains all day when chasing elk.......I never really notice it on my shoulder, which I cannot say about many of the other rifle calibers I own. As far as twist, go with a 1:10 since it will shoot everything well. My Sako is a 1:11 twist and had no problem stabilizing the 200 gr ELDX even though they suggest a 1:10.5 or 1:10 twist rate (can't remember off the top of my head which one)

Thanks. This sounds like good advice, I think I would plan on shooting 180-200gr max as the short case gets filled up pretty quick with the bullet. So I'd think a 1:10 would work.

I also hunt with someone who uses a 6.5x55 and have seen it kill elk just fine. So I'm sure the 6.5prc would be sufficient.

I hunt elk in W.WA and deer in E.WA

This is how far I've gotten. Can't decide but I'm starting to run out of time for getting something done for this fall.

I was just asking myself the same questions. Same concept of operations. Ultimately similar rifle.

1. I have a 1:7 proof for my 6.5 PRC. Had many of the same requirements - you can see what I picked.
2. Just in case you are interested, I emailed Copper Creek and they will load 7SS for you, which would be my other choice (and why I have a 1:8tw Brux in my basement).

Both cartridges will handle elk but you get more thump with the 300 WSM and ammo is available in most sporting goods if you don't reload. I love the 150 accubond for mule deer/antelope and the 180 accubond for elk in my 300 wsm handloads. The 300 WSM is a well behaved and very accurate cartridge for all NA animals except the big bears..I would go bigger for them.

I was just asking myself the same questions. Same concept of operations. Ultimately similar rifle.

1. I have a 1:7 proof for my 6.5 PRC. Had many of the same requirements - you can see what I picked.
2. Just in case you are interested, I emailed Copper Creek and they will load 7SS for you, which would be my other choice (and why I have a 1:8tw Brux in my basement).

I do reload and have for 20+years, but I have zero time for now. It might change in the future but for now.

Where did you find a 1:7 proof? (I'm looking for a Sendero Lite)

Last edited:
Both cartridges will handle elk but you get more thump with the 300 WSM and ammo is available in most sporting goods if you don't reload. I love the 150 accubond for mule deer/antelope and the 180 accubond for elk in my 300 wsm handloads. The 300 WSM is a well behaved and very accurate cartridge for all NA animals except the big bears..I would go bigger for them.

I currently hunt with a 300H&H which is pretty dang close to a 300WSM, but in a long action. I've been shooting 180's out of it for elk and deer. Last year I picked up a 6cm for deer, and picking up (building) something in stainless for elk since my 300h&h is blued and I'm always worried about it when its raining.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.