Elk Rifle 270 wsm 300wm 300wsm

Rhian (Bigngreen) has a lot of experience elk hunting, more than most of the rest us and he knows what he's doing with his 270 which is a lot like a 7 mag which is what I used to hunt everything with. After I cooked the barrel in the 7mm I got a 300 WSM for all around Montana hunting with special thought to elk. When it comes to elk hunting, I'll grab a 300 mag (currently a RUM) or better for that little extra insurance factor and they are going to do a better overall job of putting it down quick.

That said, my #2 LR rifle will be a 6.5 WSM and I would not hesitate to use it for elk if my 300 were to become unusable for some reason. I would probably not shoot to 1K on a bull but wouldn't mind stretching it out on a cow if the opportunity came up. Matrix also has a good 160 gr 6.5 bullet. With a 300, I would take a longer front quartering shot on a bull if that's all I had. I wouldn't take that shot with a 6.5 WSM unless fairly close and with a larger, higher SD, bullet like a 140 minimum.

I didn't know Bigngreen had a video of an 800 yd kill. I would love to see it. Gotta link?

I dont have it nor have seen it. I was relating what I read from others here that have seen it. I would like to see it however and he(BignGreen) may have the link still.

I am looking at the 165 and 175gr matrix now and finding the particulars out with the newer 175gr.

Don't quite know where the video thing started but I don't have any shooting on video yet, someday I may get my stuff in a pile and get video. I've taken elk out past 800 yards with my 270 WSM and one at 865 yards and it did a real good job. I've taken a good number in the 500-600 yards range with it and it piles them up just like you'd expect form a high sectional density bullet.
I shot a 300 WBY for years on elk unfortunately I used Barnes bullets and that did not let the 30 cal shine for me, that same rifle loaded with 215 Berger is mean but I would not shoot an elk much if any farther with it than how I have my 270 WSM set up, the bullets are much more important that what pushing them IMO.

After all the responses in favor of the 300wsm I was offered the same tikka t3 lite SS in 300wsm instead of the 270wsm at a price I could not pass up. I work part time at a proshop and the weapon was offered at a significant reduced price. It appears the reloading components are a few bucks cheaper as well as mentioned the spectrum of weights.

Again thanks to all again

I lived in Colorado for 35 years. Rifle of choice was my Winchester Model 70 in 300 Win Mag. I've used 270's, 7mm's and others. Always went back to the 300.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.