Need advice on caliber for Moose and bear in Alaska.

Except for shot placement. And in this analogy, that's like the turbo or nitrous. Kicks the ever living crap out of displacement and gets better mpg doing it.
223 in the head > 50bmg in the butt.
When it comes to DG 223 in the head > 50BMG to the heart/lungs. Their both dead, but the 223 in the head makes them dead faster.

The bore bore can still give you that desired head shot……even from backend! 😉 memtb

I agree that's important. Probably need some of you Alaskans or frequent visitors there to address what can be found on the shelf, say, in Anchorage.
It's just not common. One of the chains can order it for you and they wont charge shipping to their store, but they don't stock stuff almost no one shoots.

It's just not common. One of the chains can order it for you and they wont charge shipping to their store, but they don't stock stuff almost no one shoots.

I always thought of a .338 WM as a "beginner's cartridge", you must have a lot of experienced/knowledgeable hunters shooting larger calibers for potentially dangerous game! 😁 memtb

I always thought of a .338 WM as a "beginner's cartridge", you must have a lot of experienced/knowledgeable hunters shooting larger calibers for potentially dangerous game! 😁 memtb
Honestly the only thing you'll reliably find over 30cal is 45-70. People just don't go to the range with much bigger than a 308win and they rarely hunt with anything bigger than a 300wm.

Honestly the only thing you'll reliably find over 30cal is 45-70. People just don't go to the range with much bigger than a 308win and they rarely hunt with anything bigger than a 300wm.

All jokes aside…..I'm very surprised at that!

I only personally knew 2 people from Alaska, one carried a .375 H & H …..the other played video games! 🤔 memtb

All jokes aside…..I'm very surprised at that!

I only personally knew 2 people from Alaska, one carried a .375 H & H …..the other played video games! 🤔 memtb
There's the token box of 375h&h and even ruger on the shelf on occasion but it's north of $100 a box anymore. There's a single box of 338 RPM on the shelf at sportsmans for over $100 that I think has been there for over 4 years. And there's usually a box or 2 of 338LM in that $120-150 range.
You can get the 30 cals and 6.5cm in about every bullet known to man.

There's the token box of 375h&h and even ruger on the shelf on occasion but it's north of $100 a box anymore. There's a single box of 338 RPM on the shelf at sportsmans for over $100 that I think has been there for over 4 years. And there's usually a box or 2 of 338LM in that $120-150 range.
They are the same prices down here in Texas. If you can find them.

That's one of the many reasons that I handload for my wife's .338 WM. She'll be experiencing no ammo shortages……here or anywhere! 😉 memtb

Recent Posts