Moose calibre?

.30-06, 300wsm, 300wm or similar, at least 190gr will do the job just fine. This was from '21 in Newfoundland, 300wsm Nosler Trophy grade out of in BLR. Thats the exit wound.

IMG_1596.jpeg

I shot my once in a lifetime bull moose here in N. Idaho with a 338-06 Ackley Improved at 150 yds. 225 gr. Hornady SP. I've heard the term used several times "turned him upside down " but this was one of the few times I actually saw it happen, after the shot all 4 feet were in the air and the moose had been standing on fairly level ground.

I have had the privilege of living in prime game country all my life. Moose, Elk, Muleys, Whitetail, Black Bear, etc.
Having that privilege has meant that our family has eaten a lot of game.

Moose, [compared to elk] despite their size, are not hard to kill. A shot in the lungs from any decent chambering
will drop them in short order. OP your 30-06 or your 7mm Mag are plenty of gun within reasonable distance.
[350-450 yards]

My pet Moose load in the '06 is the 180 Partition or Scirocco II, the 7mm gets the 160 Partition or Accubond.

That being said, I have shot them with everything from the 6mm Remington [not recommending this for moose]
right up to the 338 Win Mag. Most have fallen to the '06, with my 308 Norma Magnum a close second.

Despite the 8mm Rem Mag being an obvious choice, [I own one] I have never shot a moose with mine, nor with
my 325 WSM. They are my elk rifles. I have taken 4 moose with the 8x57, and with the 196-200 grain bullets
it works just great. The 270 is a good choice, and I have shot 8 moose with the 7x57.

With some embarrassment, I shot one moose early in my hunting career 4 times before she died, I was packing a
308 Winchester, but that is irrelevant. My bad...first shot was too far back. Other that that, it has usually been one
shot, rarely two shots and done.

A well placed shot with a decent bullet, and the work begins!! Dave.

I have shot them with the 338WM, 8mmRM, 300 Dakota, 330 Dakota, 270 WSM and 264WM, (more than once with each) I think !
There is no caliber that will work as well as one that puts its bullet in the right place, assuming a well constructed bullet.
Let us not fool ourselves that even a 243 can kill a moose, here In Quebec it is the legal minimum but in all my years I have never met or heard
of anyone using one for moose, a lot of the early hunters used many 303 Brits, 30-30, 308 and 30-06 but Moose were not usually shot at the distances that we dare shoot today, we got closer to the game back in the day mostly because we did not have the hardware for the long shots. Between your 7mmRM and the 30-06 they will both work with good bullets, my choice would be the 7mmRM because of the better long range ballistics and excellent bullets. Know your gun and practice long range shooting and if you are going to shoot long range get a rangefinder and the right optics.
BB

I use a .308 myself for deer, moose and elk.

My hunting partner uses a .300 Savage ( a 99 lever action). He's killed 40+ moose with it in the last 55+ years of hunting moose every fall. His father used a .300 Savage (also the 99) for many years and many moose until he lost strength in his legs after colon cancer. Then he swapped to a 7mm magnum.

My grandma (coincidentally) used a Savage 99 in .243 and she was very successful. Grandma was a heck of a good shot! :)

We (wife and I) have 4 bulls between us!

Her first bull (her first ever big game kill) was taken with a .264 WM. Her second was with her .338 WM. Pretty uneventful…..rifle fires moose falls! 😉 We boned him out, and backpacked him out a mile or so to a road!

My first was taken with my .375 H&H! My longest shot that I ever made with it…..after I had "muffed" a shot with my handgun. After my bad shot, the moose disappeared in the timber. Finally had an opportunity on the opposite ridge, and took him with the H&H. The pack out was pretty arduous…..to say the least.

My second bull was with my .375 AI. The kill was uneventful! I drug him in one piece about 800 yards down a fairly steep, small brush covered ridge to a muddy 2-track where the Polaris Ranger was waiting with my wife. This was one heck of a workout….. 9 months after a spinal fusion! I have to say that my doctor must have done a pretty good job!

As mentione, most anything is adequate for moose…..these just happened to be our cartridges used! memtb

In my province of Quebec the minimum caliber for moose is 6mm, although legal we find it irresponsible to hunt such an animal with so small a caliber, but in fact any caliber that can break a rib and punch a hole in the lungs will kill anything walking including an elephant.
I have shot my share of moose from close to far, broadside and angling shots, I would never condone shooting one with a 6mm or anything less than a 270 Winchester for reliable penetration from all angles at reasonable ranges.
BB

Recent Posts