270 WSM elk loads

MTLIVIN

Im wondering what guys have for real life experience shooting elk with the 270 WSM and what loads you prefer. I bought a Tika T3 270 WSM for my wife and will be starting load development soon. I'm aiming for a load good to 500 yards under all conditions, including hitting heavy bone. I've had some poor results with a 270 win on bear and elk so I switched to the 30 & 7mm cals, but my wife cannot handle a lot of recoil so I reluctantly bought the WSM for her knowing many other people have great experiences with the ol' .277 cal.

PS, I haven't shot this rifle at all yet but I did have a limbsavers pad installed to help on the recoil side, I plan to load 150's around 3000fps and 140's around 3100 to keep recoil manageable.

I'm aiming for a load good to 500 yards under all conditions, including hitting heavy bone.

Of the .270 WSMs I've built, the best performing combination for elk has been the Barnes 130 gr. TTSX running about 3200 fps. Plenty of energy, plenty of velocity and will penetrate bone while retaining bullet weight intact.

The best performance though is to avoid the heavy bones and make the proper heart shot to minimize meat loss. If it's a cow then break the neck or take a head shot. These all require some precision capability so if she lacks this then a body shot is all you're left with unfortunately.

Regards.

i shoot a weatherby vanguard 2 in 270 WSM, with a zeiss conquest 5x25 z plex scope and can usually follow the zeiss ballistic calculator...shooting a berger 170 gr elitehunter bullet...so much depends on her shooting skill and at what distance she wants to be proficient at at shorter distance up to 300 yards the barnes 130 is fin...at a greater distance i like the beefier bullets to buck the wind and have impact at a longer distance

I've only killed 1 elk with a .270 WSM and used a 150 gr. Barnes TSX. The bull was dead by the time I got there, so I didn't get a chance to ask him how well the bullet worked.

Since your wife is recoil shy, I would have no reservations using the aforementioned 130 gr. TTSX in the WSM. For your intended ranges, I would go with a Barnes of some sort.

Good call on the limbsaver pad - I did this on my wife's 25-06 and it helped a lot.

140 gr Accubond is a great all around bullet. I load it in my wifes 270 and my 270 WSM. It kills deer, elk, bears, antelope and caribou just fine and holds up good on close shots. I use 68gr of Retumbo in the 270 WSM

I know a lot of people don't care for muzzle brakes. But this is what I'd consider. I believe with a muzzle brake that even the 7mm and 30 calibers would be plenty tolerable for her to shoot. Not all brakes are created equal, so if you do consider this option spend a little time searching out the differences. Good luck

You guys are hitting all the options I've considered. The TTSX didn't do well for us once, but I am seeing some tests of the LRX showing better expansion and as this rifle can zing em out there a lot faster then her old 7mm-08 they are prob a good option with either of the Barnes bullets. I already have a box of 140 accubonds and 150 partitions, couldn't make up my mind then and still can't! But I personally prefer the accubonds for most hunting types. I also considered the muzzle brake option, and if I need to go that route I will likely sell this rifle and get her a 7mm mag instead.

Anyone used the LRX bullets yet?

You guys are hitting all the options I've considered. The TTSX didn't do well for us once, but I am seeing some tests of the LRX showing better expansion and as this rifle can zing em out there a lot faster then her old 7mm-08 they are prob a good option with either of the Barnes bullets. I already have a box of 140 accubonds and 150 partitions, couldn't make up my mind then and still can't! But I personally prefer the accubonds for most hunting types. I also considered the muzzle brake option, and if I need to go that route I will likely sell this rifle and get her a 7mm mag instead.

Anyone used the LRX bullets yet?

I am long time NAB and NP end-user and switched in 2004 to VLD type bullets i.e., Berger, Matrix, etc., and very pleased with them.

Bigngreen have very good successes with the 165 Matrix with his 270 WSM.

My current accuracy load for my .270 AI is 175 Matric VLD at 2993 FPS.

I too am a big fan of muzzle brakes and there are plenty of effective brakes out there to choose from nowadays. Also, it's very pricey at the moment but the suppressor is another option and we are now allowed to hunt with it here in Montana. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/i-got-my-stamp-today-170071/

Good luck!

Ed

I've shot a lot of elk with a 270 WSM and the bullet to use is a 165 Matrix, haven't tried the 170 Berger yet but it may well be awesome as well. I also shoot some 110 TTSX for reduced loaded but I will only shoot Barnes on light game up to deer, in these smaller cals you will have them fail to penetrate in a straight line on elk and you'll loose a percentage because of the low mass for surface area on the bullet.
I've shot a lot of 140 Bergers a 140 Accubonds as well and I prefer the Berger for less blood shot more internal damage, the accubonds make such a mess but they do a good job other wise.
You gain nothing going to a 7 Mag vs a 270 WSM, they'll do the same thing on the same game at the same ranges, I prefer the 270 there isn't a guy left shooting a 7 mag anymore that we hunt and most went to a 270 or a 300 Win.
Fit a brake to a 270 WSM and load a 165 Matrix and it'll surprise you just how sweet it is to shoot, it's one of the best combinations on elk that I've ever shot.

Tikka's are fairly a light rifle, a muzzle brake would be a good thing if you're going to push anything heavier than a 130 gr. bullet over 3100 fps. and if your wife is recoil shy. Tikka's are also very accurate for factory rifles. Good luck with your hunt.

I've shot a lot of elk with a 270 WSM and the bullet to use is a 165 Matrix, haven't tried the 170 Berger yet but it may well be awesome as well. I also shoot some 110 TTSX for reduced loaded but I will only shoot Barnes on light game up to deer, in these smaller cals you will have them fail to penetrate in a straight line on elk and you'll loose a percentage because of the low mass for surface area on the bullet.
I've shot a lot of 140 Bergers a 140 Accubonds as well and I prefer the Berger for less blood shot more internal damage, the accubonds make such a mess but they do a good job other wise.
You gain nothing going to a 7 Mag vs a 270 WSM, they'll do the same thing on the same game at the same ranges, I prefer the 270 there isn't a guy left shooting a 7 mag anymore that we hunt and most went to a 270 or a 300 Win.
Fit a brake to a 270 WSM and load a 165 Matrix and it'll surprise you just how sweet it is to shoot, it's one of the best combinations on elk that I've ever shot.

BignGreen
I'm helping by buddies kid work up a load for his Vangard 270 wsm, what powders, brass and primers are you using for the;
165 Matrix
140 NAB
140 Berger
110 ttsx
We've put a new trigger in it and I'm looking at the stock which needs to go. It's been tough to get anything to group out of it....
Any help would be helpful and thanks in advance...
270S

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.