.270 WSM v .300WSM

COBrad

Can't believe I'm doing this but... Kimber is offering their M8400 Classic stocked in French Walnut with a forend tip. I've got to have one. The rifles are available in these two calibers only. Here's the question: How are the .270's shooting? I've already searched the archives and found little info, and not a lot of positive feedback. Accuracy is paramount. I already have a .300 Jarrett so I am wanting to go with something that fills the hole between my .243 and the .300.

COBrad,
There is an article in the latest issue of Rifle Shooter on the Kimber. I just got my issue Monday. They have the 8400 and the 8400 Montana. I think the article said it was availble in .270/7mm/.300 WSM. Check it out. Johnny K.

The 270 can be every bit as good or bad as the 300. Loading accurate bullets helps.

I prefer the 270 because of the higher BC bullets for the bullet weight.

Both would be more then enough for the game I hunt so would lean towards the best bullets for longer shots. Here the 270 has an edge over the 180gr 30cals typically used.

Awesome looking rifle. Too pretty for me to hunt with though.

If accuracy is paramount, then build up a rifle using a top quality match barrel assembled by someone who will do it right. Work up loads using accurate bullets. That is the only way I know to ensure very small groups.

The kimber is still a production rifle.

Jerry

COBrad - I've had a 35 year love of .277 rifles. I still have my original custom 270 winchester that was given to me when I was 12 years old. It has done everything I ever wanted to do. Excellant varmint gun with 100's or 110's. I also have a 270 ackley improved which is even better.

If they would have made the .270 WSM 15 years ago I would have bought it instead of the Ackley.

I can go out Marmot or parrie dog hunting and shoot 100's of rounds in a day and not think anything of it. 300 magnums and larger guns like my .458 I'm about shot out after 30 - 50 rounds.

[ 10-20-2004: Message edited by: budlight ]

I ordered one today in .270WSM.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Accuracy being paramount relative to a production rifle!
grin.gif
This rifle is a fair representation to ones that I have salivated over since I was a little boy. I really admire french walnut. I will admit it is all about having a beautiful wood-stocked rifle without having to go to the expense of a full custom. This one is going hunting, when the weather is nice and there are no saddle scabbards involved. My .300 is a custom ss/fiberglass for "real" hunting.

I have a Win M70 in 270 WSM with there Laminated stock.I also have a synthetic stocked Rem 700 in 300RUM. My point is I just got back from a sucsessful black bear hunt where I had to hike thru dence forest,no way would I carry a fancy walnut stocked rifle thru that,ruin it within there first few hundred yds of hikeing.However 270WSM shoots well at the range.
smile.gif

Oh, I'll use it alright. I've got a Zeiss 3.5-10 and Talley mounts on the way, and it'll see some coyote hunting this winter as an excuse to get out and use it. I plan to take it elk hunting next year too. Every now and then I will lay it out along side the two Coopers I hunt with and pet them. Gotta treat 'em right. I really enjoy hunting with a beautiful rifle.

[ 10-14-2004: Message edited by: COBrad ]

CoBrad

Helped a factory class shooter this year at a match with a 270WSM. He had loaded 150 Barnes and had no idea what it would do at 100 much less 1000.

We got him zero'd at 1000 in about 5 rounds and he went on to shoot a 10" group with the 270WSM.

Think it is a perfect round for what you are wanting.

BH

Well folks, I still have not found a load that will group under 1 inch out of my .270 WSM. It is a Savage 16 FS. I have not done anything to the rifle except trigger work but this particular rifle is just not accurate. I have tried over 5 powders, 6 different bullets, from 130-150, 3 different primers, lengths from shortest to longest. I cant seem to find any kind of pattern to help with loads. Shoots Magpro and 140's into about 4 inches at 100 yards. The only thing that gets me is that if it was a "two shot" rifle, it would be excellent. More than half my loads would be alright then because I can get 2 shots either touching or 1/2". Usually it will be the 3rd shot that wanders off so **** far. I let the barrel cool 2-3 minutes before shooting the next shot. Dont really know what to do. I'm about to give up on the thing. I'm just thinking its a Savage thing. This is the 1st Savage in our house, and will probly be the last. I have never ever in my 7 years of loading have had this much trouble trying to obtain a 1 inch 3 shot group out of a rifle. Hell even ALL of my Rugers I have ever owned after that trigger pull was down, I could find a load within a 1 powder and bullet combo. Savage is just something else, maybe I got a bad one. Am not really willing to give them another chance. Just one of those things. I love the .270 WSM cartridge, BETTER than the .270 weatherby. I have gotten 3550fps with the 130's and 3400fps with 140's. Those velocities are max with some of my loads out of a 24" tube. I have tried slowing them down all to no avail. Either bottom or top loads will usually always put 2 holes close but fly the other one. I should just try to sell it, but its a Savage, nobody wants them where I live. Get a Winchester or Browning and start working up again. BTW my dad bought the Winchester Black Shadow in .270 from Wal-Mart and guess what, I found a load for that with what I wanted to the first time. Magpro and 140g SST@3300. 3/4" of an inch without extensive testing. I would say I have been through extensive testing in my own Savage .270 wsm and have not even came close to 3/4" group. I have tried probly close to 100 loads out of my Savage, while it took me only a couple to find the one for my dads Winchester. I guess the long and short of the story is that if given another rifle, I would be a lot happier person, but the caliber is awesome. One I would recomend, only NOT in a Savage.

Just got off the phone with Becky over at Sporting Arms. Kimber has not yet shipped my rifle, but guarantees one will come. Supposed to hear back tomorrow when it will ship. I've been watching a few sites online, and spoke with one other Kimber dealer, and have been surprised at how fast the .270's sell. If I can find a load that will shoot 1 moa out of the rifle I'll be satisfied. Remingtonman, it does sound like you may have a rifle that is just not going to shoot. I am curious though, have you considered having the rifle bedded? My daughter shoots a 7-08 Savage, and the action binds terribly in the stock. Poorest fit that I have ever seen. She still shoots around 2" at 100 yds from a sitting position. This winter I'm going to attempt my first bedding job on that rifle.

Remingtonman ,
Unfortunately there's often a lot more to rifle accuracy than just experimentation with loads . In any case , 100 rounds isn't really a lot of experimentation .
Suggest you try a bedding job first , then if that doesn't work get the barrel recrowned and locking lugs lapped .If it still won't shoot then you'll probably need to look at barrel replacement and action truing .
Nearly all factory rifles will require bedding properly in order to give CONSISTENT small groups and hold their zero . Remingtons , Winchesters and Brownings are no better than Savages in this regard .To avoid disappointment I have my rifles professionally bedded before they are ever fired .
If you sell your Savage in the belief that all Winchesters or Brownings automatically shoot small groups then I reckon you could be the disappointed one. My (bedded) Model 70 7mm WSM shoots 1.2 inch (5 shot) groups and realistically I didn't expect much better . My Remington VSSF wouldn't do better than 1.25 inches until rebarrelled .
If you really hate the Savage then best chance for an accurate WSM rifle straight from the factory would be Tikka or Sako unless you want to spend serious money .
BTW , I'm glad I wasn't standing nearby when you were shooting 130 grainers out of that thing at 3550 FPS . That has got to be HOT . Could you get a fired round back in the chamber after ejecting ?
shocked.gif
Factory loads in the WSM's (using Magpro)operate at around 65000 PSI . You can't safely add 250 + FPS with the same powder in these cartridges. They're close to full throttle as is .
What velocity were your starting loads ? My 7mm shoots a lot better with 140 gn pills at 3150 FPS than 3200 or more .
Would be in your own best interest to sell the Savage and get a more powerful rifle if safe WSM velocities don't blow your hair back .

[ 10-20-2004: Message edited by: Aussie ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.