270 WSM elk loads

My concern with the TSX/TTSX is a 500 yard shot and a failure to expand. I love those bullets but more on close shots when the velocity is still high. The 130 grain TTSX recommended might still be going fast enough from that WSM to be viable.

I favor Partitions for 500 yards and shorter (they aren't as aerodynamic for those long shots) and since you are looking to cut recoil (smart man!) I'd go with the 130 grain on those, too. But the 150s (which you already have) probably won't be too much worse. Hate for you to go buy "more" bullets when you already have suitable stuff on hand.

The Accubond would be a great choice, too. I think I'd load these up and the Partitions and just go with whichever was more accurate.

As for recoil, I vote NO on the muzzlebrake for a HUNTING gun. Too loud. Obnoxiously loud. Ridiculously loud. No one likes 'those people' at the gun range and if your wife has to snap off a quick shot without hearing protection, she is going to be unhappy. I got this for my wife when she shot anything with 'kick' to it and she loved it. (You already put the Limbsaver on, which is my other recommendation, so good job.)
PAST Hidden Comfort for Women-Recoil Pad Shield (Ambidextrous)
upload_2019-8-7_17-28-29.png

My concern with the TSX/TTSX is a 500 yard shot and a failure to expand. I love those bullets but more on close shots when the velocity is still high. The 130 grain TTSX recommended might still be going fast enough from that WSM to be viable.

The 130g ttsx factory ammo out of a 270 win did well out to 275 yards on an elk, found both in the hide on opposite side. It wasn't going anywhere after the first one, but always put another just to make sure.

BignGreen
I'm helping by buddies kid work up a load for his Vangard 270 wsm, what powders, brass and primers are you using for the;
165 Matrix
140 NAB
140 Berger
110 ttsx
We've put a new trigger in it and I'm looking at the stock which needs to go. It's been tough to get anything to group out of it....
Any help would be helpful and thanks in advance...
270S

I use Norma brass, for the 140+ grain bullets I had great results with Retumbo, the 110 TTSX I used R17 but that was before some of the newest reloader powders.
Generally I like Fed 210 primers but you may load a few and see what it likes, I found that they can have a definite preference.
Many of the vanguard's have a pressure point in the forend, you may try removing that.
The 110TTSX is made for kids or recoils sensitive people, I ran them from a 26 inch barrel at 3600 fps, I would have no issues with an elk at 500 with one behind the shoulder and be ready to punch them again if they give you the opportunity to.
I would strongly advise to look at Hammer bullets, the 117 would be the ticket, it they don't shoot you can move on to another rifle or rebarrel IMO.
Personally I run a faster twist barrel and shoot the 170 Berger in the 3000 fps range but that's for hammering elk at distance and set up brakes and prone.

The rancher we hunted on killed an elk at 640 yds with a 140 accubond from a 270 wsm. That would be an excellent starting point, the second being the 130 ttsx. Magpro and retumbo work for the 140s. Good luck

I use Norma brass, for the 140+ grain bullets I had great results with Retumbo, the 110 TTSX I used R17 but that was before some of the newest reloader powders.
Generally I like Fed 210 primers but you may load a few and see what it likes, I found that they can have a definite preference.
Many of the vanguard's have a pressure point in the forend, you may try removing that.
The 110TTSX is made for kids or recoils sensitive people, I ran them from a 26 inch barrel at 3600 fps, I would have no issues with an elk at 500 with one behind the shoulder and be ready to punch them again if they give you the opportunity to.
I would strongly advise to look at Hammer bullets, the 117 would be the ticket, it they don't shoot you can move on to another rifle or rebarrel IMO.
Personally I run a faster twist barrel and shoot the 170 Berger in the 3000 fps range but that's for hammering elk at distance and set up brakes and prone.

The 117HH worked well in my 270, so will see how they do in th wsm with RL16. I wish I didn't have to stuff them so far into the case. Small box and short to the lan's.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.