Wsm rifle

If I had to be a sniper and could choose my cartridge it would be a 6.5saum or 7saum.
Im changing my 300wsm heavy gun to a 7saum this yr. The Ballistic advantage of the 7mm is too much to ignore.
Shep

Last edited:
I met a member at my father-in-law's range (goes to 1000) who shoots a .300WSM in 1000yd Benchrest and a 6CM or 6.5CM for F-Class. Got to handle his "anything bigger than deer" hunting rifle. .300WSM Tikka throated long with bolt stop and magazine replaced with versions for .300WM as well as an AG Composites stock and a S&B scope. The rifle was less expensive than the stock and both together were less than half the price of the scope.
His AccuBond handloads printed a 0.4" group @ 100 that day. His comment was "it normally shoots better but I'm not having a good day".

I have exact notes written down somewhere to duplicate that rifle someday. :)

I shoot the crudmore 6.5 in 1000yd also. I shoot it in my light gun. It's a very capable round. I've won alot with it. It's sort of like a little brother to the 300wsm. Long high bc bullets at 2850 for both cartridges. My Creed actually has better ballistics than my 300wsm. The 6.5 has about 50 more points of bc at the same speed. My Creed has 5 inches less drift at 10mph than my 300. Trajectory is almost identical with the Creed .5moa flatter. So basically at 1000 yards the only difference is energy and size of hole.
Shep

Awesome I've looked at couple wsm s but haven't pulled trigger on any of them yet I've been keeping a eye out on who all around me keeps factory ammo for them due to not having my reloading stuff yet.
Plenty of factory WSM loads from just about every manufacture including just about every bullet is available now. Go to natchezss.com , ammoseek, and choiceammunition.com for custom

I had a 300wsm on a rem 700 cdl ss. It had feeding issues. My model 70 feather weight 300wsm feeds just fine. The tikka 270wsm and sako 270wsm feed fine. My custom 7wsm sako feeds fine 26" krieger barreled 7wsm that shoots 162 eldm .670 G1 BC @ 3190 fps in a mcmillan stock. Not very many other cartridges are going to be able to duplicate this on a short action. Mine was faster with rl26, but rl23 is more tempstable and lower ES
I also have a Rem. 700 CDL SS 300 wsm and it had a feeding problem when I bought it due to improper assembly causing feed problems. I made a few tweaks and it has been great ever since. Absolutely no issues.

I shoot the crudmore 6.5 in 1000yd also. I shoot it in my light gun. It's a very capable round. I've won alot with it. It's sort of like a little brother to the 300wsm. Long high bc bullets at 2850 for both cartridges. My Creed actually has better ballistics than my 300wsm. The 6.5 has about 50 more points of bc at the same speed. My Creed has 5 inches less drift at 10mph than my 300. Trajectory is almost identical with the Creed .5moa flatter. So basically at 1000 yards the only difference is energy and size of hole.
Shep
If you are a hunter you will appreciate the extra ft./lbs of the 300wsm

I read the first two pages of this 8 page thread and then just decided to put up my inputs and move on. I may have missed some good arguments but, whatever - it's a busy day.
I have a Win M70 Ultimate Shadow Stainless in 270 WSM and it feeds very smoothly. In fact, I can stuff the magazine full of empty cases and it'll feed and chamber them all just as slick as loaded rounds. Many rifles won't do that.

Good luck,
Rex
Sounds like a nice rifle thank you for your input.what all do you hunt with the 270 wsm? I've looked in the that round for couple years now but I'm still not sure about it

I had a 300 WSM and sold it due to extra recoil I didn't need. Never had a feeding issue with it, and the gun shot great actually. In replace of that, I have a 7 SAUM now that has less recoil and shoots flatter than the 300. Both short fat heavy cases gave me 0 problems. IMO, both are upgrades to the older 300 win mag and 7mm rem magnums. You can get decent brass for the 7 SAUM too these days, so I see no point in dealing with a 7mm rem mag ever again. Commercially speaking most short fat cases were failures, but most of them are better than the older cartridges IMO. More efficient, better case design, less recoil, better barrel life, and easier to tune loads for.

Hello all Ivhave been reading about couple different wsm calibers and rifles and have seen alot of people say they have feeding problems I am wondering what brand and model rifles in wsm are good rifles that do not have feeding problems.
Thanks
Never had a problem with my Browning X BOLT 270 WSM.. actually love it

Sako 85 270 WSM.
Zero feeding issues. Short action giving superior strength and accuracy.
145 grain eldx 3330 fps
725metre shot bullet 50mm from aiming point.
200 metres bullets over lapping on target.
Bet you could not get those results in any factory long action.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.