Why Your Custom Builder

I have had a build take over a year once the builder ordered parts and everything was in short supply. That taught me to get my parts together & take them in a box to the smith. I currently use Accurate Ordnance, https://accurateordnance.com/. their shop is about 45 minutes from me and they normally finish my rifles in about 2 weeks but they are a fairly large shop & know me.

For me, when I had a rifle built a little over a year ago, I researched the interweb and got reviews of past customers from a builder that I had been reading about. Then I called them several times and discussed my project and what I had in mind, which was pretty basic. Every time I called them, they were very helpful and always had time to discuss my rifle. They explained the process clearly. So communications was an important factor. Also, the 'plan' never changed along the process. They delivered exactly what they said they would. Wait time was a factor as well. I ordered the parts and had them sent to the builder, which they were good with that. Once they had all the parts, my rifle was ready to ship in less than two weeks. The rifle looks great and shoots even better, so the final product in a timely manner is a big factor for me. Now, I am having them rebarrel my 7 mag. I found a building that I trust, and they have always impressed me as being good guys, so I plan to stick with them: Alamo Precision Rifles in the DFW area
I'm only quoting you because your experience mirrors most guys first, or first few times having a rifle built. Assurance goes a long way.
My current smith has chambered around 15 rifles for me, my process consists of asking for a copy of the reamer print, maybe discuss freebore, coating, drop the parts off and wait. I most likely have a new stock on hand, trigger also, scope and rings too. Even if I want a new action, I have yet to wait more than 2 weeks for a Defiance or Impact action. I was on hold for 5 months waiting for a Borden super short 6, that is what happens when you need to be first to own something.
Let me backreel, I have waited for reamers, always a big pain, lol

Build my own. Smiths offer the advantage of multiple reamers and threading proplery but I just order prefits and do the rest

A real gunsmith knows what they are doing, they know why they do it and how to do it quickest to get what their client wants done.

Sometimes I do things to learn them. It is fun.

Minus the "time" and "parts" rabbit trail. 3 of you answered why you use your builder. Thank you.
Interesting how quick turn around may be the factor in choosing a smith.
Why I use Gary Flach
Close proximity to where I live, quick turnaround time, he's very versatile with stock work, creativity and paint schemes
His prices are no better or worse than the other gunsmiths I know, in the end the guns he builds me just plain shoot.

Not to mention he's a hell of a nice guy

Build my own. Smiths offer the advantage of multiple reamers and threading proplery but I just order prefits and do the rest
I tried this about a year and a half ago. While initially skeptical, I was pleasantly surprised with the results and have built two more rifles since. I have achieved results that equal my customs used for both competition and LRH. I agree that cartridge/reamer options can be limited but this seems to be improving. It surely saves time and is cost effective! I also see myself moving in this direction, particularly for my high volume/frequent barrel replacement activities like PRS.

Like others stated, only one guy makes a .375 AM. My others are by pierce they make the actions and are close to home. Takes a few weeks. Most of that is waiting in a stock. Plus my time is better spent making the money to pay for that said gun by working. Basically the opportunity cost for me is not worth my time. Plus I like to be able to tell at someone if it doesn't shoot.

I have had a build take over a year once the builder ordered parts and everything was in short supply. That taught me to get my parts together & take them in a box to the smith. I currently use Accurate Ordnance, https://accurateordnance.com/. their shop is about 45 minutes from me and they normally finish my rifles in about 2 weeks but they are a fairly large shop & know me.

I don't like accurate ordinance because he beat me in a competition. :D

when I mean beat, I was 31st and he was 2nd. Lol

LRI's progress tracking with photos and description is awesome. Alleviates the need for an update call or email. Wouldn't hesitate to have them do another.

Now I'm more curious as to what you are building zen.
At least I could look smart when you ask what you are building g on on your YouTube channel.
If you have not watched his channel you need to check it out. Very good.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.