.338 edge builder?

Is it worth it to run the 3.85in wyatts on the edge? Or just move to the 4in CFE. I'm assuming I would give up too much using the 300 berger with the 3.85 box. Don't plan/want to single feed, the 338 rum is in the back of my mind for a repeater although.

In 338 RUM, it looks like a 250 grain Berger at 3.75" magazine length is still going to be intruding on the case capacity with the base of the bullet. A 338 Edge is going to intrude 0.090" more but it looks like it tends to have a longer throat so you might wind up with a huge jump at magazine length.

When I looked at load data, it seemed like a lot of recipes were similar. Maybe the extra case capacity of the Edge reduces pressure but it didn't seem like RUM has a big disadvantage unless it's compared to a +p and then you are burning a lot more powder and RUM might not have the case capacity to take advantage of a +p throat.

I didn't feel a need to go to Edge.

Is it worth it to run the 3.85in wyatts on the edge? Or just move to the 4in CFE. I'm assuming I would give up too much using the 300 berger with the 3.85 box. Don't plan/want to single feed, the 338 rum is in the back of my mind for a repeater although.
My edges needed 3.95+" for the 285s and 300s to touch the lands. I'd go 4" if wanting a repeater

Running the 3.85 on my 28 nosler using Stiller tac 300 with Krieger barrel but it's got half barrel life left and already planning my next project haha! Need to fill the 338 position as I have a 243, 6.5-284,7 rem mag and 300 win mag. Trying to decide between a lapua bolt faced or to stick with the standard magnum face.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.