.338 edge builder?

I have a 338 built by Shawn. I'm sure others build them well too, but I'd go back to him without hesitation. Others simply take a reamer and components and "build" your rifle copying what somebody else did. He took the time to figure it out, build guns around the cartridge, then improve on what he did. We need more of those guys (Ryan Pierce is another example of that).

If you have a lathe you can buy a 338 barrel blank and start from there to build an EDGE. You can have the barrel profiled (not very expensive) if you like, leaving it to you to thread and chamber. My EDGE was begun as an old used Savage 110 rifle. I pulled the action out, screwed in a Shilen barrel, set the headspace worked on the trigger (Timney sear) and fitted it in a Hogue stock. The first barrel was a 30" bull barrel with muzzle brake and then a second barrel for hunting 26" Both are extremely accurate. I consider a muzzle brake a must. I shoot 300g Matchkings with 90g of H1000 in the 30" and 250g Gamekings with 100g of H1000 in the 26"barrel. Under $1000 for the setup but of course you need a good scope, rings and such so at least another $1,000 there. This rifle always shoots better than I can, understand an inch all day long. The EDGE kicks harder than my 375 RUM. Buy a great barrel and you will be pleased.

I do have technical ability and work with my hands every day, I rebuild repair blowers industrial pumps whether they be submersible, electric, diesel any kind of pump etc. at the moment we're getting into our busy season and with a new little one at home I don't currently have the time to build one myself. So I was wanting Input on what brands people really like.
I built my 338 edge on a Stiller predator action 28" pacnor select match barrel, Jewel trigger, hunting stock Bobby Hart v block thumb hole from stockys, other stock B&C adjustable with wyatts mag box. Leupold VX3 sent you custom shop and set up with turrets out to 2150 yards with my load of 250 grain SMK at 3100 FPS. If you can screw a bolt into a nut you can build a rifle! Plus the satisfaction of self accomplishment!!!!

Attachments

• C4F68F2D-03E4-413C-BC51-5C5C88F0EDDE.jpeg
    C4F68F2D-03E4-413C-BC51-5C5C88F0EDDE.jpeg
    702.9 KB · Views: 114
  • BDC573FA-E7A4-40DD-8742-599ECAA4301C.jpeg
    BDC573FA-E7A4-40DD-8742-599ECAA4301C.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 110
  • 8D0E03B3-51DD-4815-B7E0-D209CE0472CA.jpeg
    8D0E03B3-51DD-4815-B7E0-D209CE0472CA.jpeg
    771.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 04C37BAF-2C45-4DAB-A94C-67689497A6FF.jpeg
    04C37BAF-2C45-4DAB-A94C-67689497A6FF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 121
I've been wanting to get a .338 edge for a while. I was wondering if anyone on here had any suggestions on builders for one. I like fierce fire arms and ga precision but was wondering if any .338 edge guys had any input. Not sure if fierce would do a .338 edge. Any information is appreciated thanks.
That depends on your budget.I have built my own but i have all the tooling to do so.But if you are on a budget i would recommend douglas barrels. He did one for me that i still have that shoots lights out.then i bought my lathe but i still buy his blanks. You send him your action and he will barrel it for you.Then you just have to mount it up. I use borden actions they work great no problems ever and they are set up a little tighter that most other actions.good luck with your build.And if you have the cash then shawn is the way to go,bob.

I have a 338 built by Shawn. I'm sure others build them well too, but I'd go back to him without hesitation. Others simply take a reamer and components and "build" your rifle copying what somebody else did. He took the time to figure it out, build guns around the cartridge, then improve on what he did. We need more of those guys (Ryan Pierce is another example of that).
You are right but there are alot of guys on this site that are very smart and give very good advive.So please do not over look thier advice.

I appreciate everyone's input to make it easier I'm looking for one that's not over 10 pounds that I can take hunting and use for some long range shots with friends and definitely want it to be aablento feed from a mag, not really interested in a single shot.

Sorry but the edge is a necked up 300 Rum. Nothing fancy. Shawn has spent time with the edge, but seriously doubt he was the first one to build one. Ryan hasn't designed anything that someone else did first. Just because you didn't hear about it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
IMO an Edge won't be that fun to shoot at 10 pounds. It will be hard to stay on top of. Mine is around 13 with bipod and scope. Heavier guns are easier to shoot. And the 338's need a little more weight to them

Sorry but the edge is a necked up 300 Rum. Nothing fancy. Shawn has spent time with the edge, but seriously doubt he was the first one to build one. Ryan hasn't designed anything that someone else did first. Just because you didn't hear about it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
IMO an Edge won't be that fun to shoot at 10 pounds. It will be hard to stay on top of. Mine is around 13 with bipod and scope. Heavier guns are easier to shoot. And the 338's need a little more weigh
If you have a lathe you can buy a 338 barrel blank and start from there to build an EDGE. You can have the barrel profiled (not very expensive) if you like, leaving it to you to thread and chamber. My EDGE was begun as an old used Savage 110 rifle. I pulled the action out, screwed in a Shilen barrel, set the headspace worked on the trigger (Timney sear) and fitted it in a Hogue stock. The first barrel was a 30" bull barrel with muzzle brake and then a second barrel for hunting 26" Both are extremely accurate. I consider a muzzle brake a must. I shoot 300g Matchkings with 90g of H1000 in the 30" and 250g Gamekings with 100g of H1000 in the 26"barrel. Under $1000 for the setup but of course you need a good scope, rings and such so at least another $1,000 there. This rifle always shoots better than I can, understand an inch all day long. The EDGE kicks harder than my 375 RUM. Buy a great barrel and you will be pleased.
if I were to do it again I'd go with a magnum sporter contour 28" no muzzle break. A B&C Alaskan lightweight stock and aim for under 9 pounds. I shot mine in a light weight stock with the muzzle break off it and wondered where all the recoil is. It's on par with 300 wm for what I can tell.

No pressure signs at 100 grains of H1000? Mine got loose primer pockets with Norma brass at 99grains of H1000. Guess no 2 barrels are alike!

Have Alex Wheeler build you a 338 Norma Improved, I couldn't be happier with the one he built for me. 3 inch groups at 900 yds, with Berger 300 OTM going 2950. This rifle cycles from the magazine as well as any rifle I have ever owned

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.