.338 edge builder?

Rquick

I've been wanting to get a .338 edge for a while. I was wondering if anyone on here had any suggestions on builders for one. I like fierce fire arms and ga precision but was wondering if any .338 edge guys had any input. Not sure if fierce would do a .338 edge. Any information is appreciated thanks.

There is nothing special about a 338 Edge. Alex Wheeler, Dallas Lane, Rbros as well as many others have lots of experience with them. 4" or single shot is best when shooting 300 grain Bergers. I have one on a single shot and love it. It's so consistently accurate I don't shoot it that much anymore. Alex Wheeler built mine. 4.1" 28" barrel H1000, 300 grain Bergers at 2830 does the trick.

I'm building a 338 RUM which is similar.

I'm using CIP length magazines (300 RUM from Accurate Mag) but some actions and stocks can take longer magazines and blind magazine boxes which helps when you are loading heavy and long bullets.

Since I'm constrained by my magazine, I went with the 0.090" shorter RUM instead of the Edge.

I'm maximizing my barrel length to try and get back some of the velocity I'll lose so the difference will be pretty minor unless you compare it to a +P chamber.

Lothar Walther is cutting my barrel as a prefit and I'm putting it on an American Rifle Company Archimedes long action and their Xylo chassis. All I have to do it wait for the barrel, torque it on, load up some ammo and then I'm ready to shoot.

There are many things you could do differently that would require significant gunsmithing and in that case, Defensive Edge seems like the place to go since he developed the 338 Edge.

In my case, I determined that 338 RUM was probably the best ELR cartridge I could build up with pretty much standard (a bit high-end) off the shelf parts.

Do you have some technical ability and like working with your hands? Or do you hate spending the time and have the funds to have a rifle appear at your door?

I built my Edge with a Stiller Predator action, McGowan 30" Sendero contour barrel, and McMillan A3 Sporter stock. If you're happy with a single shot this is really easy and no difference from building any other rifle with a barrel nut. I wanted mine to be a repeater, so it was more complicated. I milled the read of the magazine opening back almost 1/4" with a Dremel to accept the Wyatt's long box. Then modified the bolt stop to allow the bolt more rearward travel to pick up the back of the case. Feeds like a dream now. It shoots right in there with my heavy barrel F-class rifle and I've placed in competition to 2000 yds with the Edge and taken game to 730. 285s at 2980fps.

I enjoyed building mine. Money I would have spend on a smith went to building 1-2 additional guns. But if you want to go the smith route I'd look at Shawn's offerings.

What here or LRONLY,there always up for sale,many out there. Id go DE and get a LRKM-338 terminator,300 grn@3100

Last edited:
I do have technical ability and work with my hands every day, I rebuild repair blowers industrial pumps whether they be submersible, electric, diesel any kind of pump etc. at the moment we're getting into our busy season and with a new little one at home I don't currently have the time to build one myself. So I was wanting Input on what brands people really like.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.