.338 edge builder?

No pressure signs at 100 grains of H1000? Mine got loose primer pockets with Norma brass at 99grains of H1000. Guess no 2 barrels are alike!
I never pushed mine past 92 gr. Of H-1000 .
I put mine together to shoot and injoy not to be the fastest kid on the block . They are amazing on critters . But my identically built 338 Rum is the same all around except dies are cheaper and a little easier to load , less steps . Both of the 30" carbons I had sent the 300 gr. Berger at 2884 ft.per.sec.
I havent put in a 4" wyatt box in any of mine yet . I have one setting on the shelf right now . They shoot so good and if I do my part it's over in one round . Some may need to put the box in , I might on my next one .

Rum Man

I never pushed mine past 92 gr. Of H-1000 .
I put mine together to shoot and injoy not to be the fastest kid on the block . They are amazing on critters . But my identically built 338 Rum is the same all around except dies are cheaper and a little easier to load , less steps . Both of the 30" carbons I had sent the 300 gr. Berger at 2884 ft.per.sec.
I havent put in a 4" wyatt box in any of mine yet . I have one setting on the shelf right now . They shoot so good and if I do my part it's over in one round . Some may need to put the box in , I might on my next one .

Rum Man
I did the box mag just for looks I guess, the blind floor plate looked fine on a traditional stock but with the B@C the mag looked better. I did have the blind mag pop open every shot I used electric tape to hold it shut I could have just stretched the latch spring a bit. The magazine requires seating deeper than kissing the lands but still shoots the same. Prolly help the brass a bit as well.

dm406, you must be Tom's boss? Alex built me the first one with a 24" barrel and I am very happy with it. I think we run the same load.

I've been wanting to get a .338 edge for a while. I was wondering if anyone on here had any suggestions on builders for one. I like fierce fire arms and ga precision but was wondering if any .338 edge guys had any input. Not sure if fierce would do a .338 edge. Any information is appreciated thanks.
If you go with douglas barrels its 500 for a air gauged barrel installed.your choice of lenght weight profile.The only thing that they dont do id thread the barrel for a surpresser but stan has a guy that will do it for a hundred but you need to send the piece with the action. They chamber the barrel for what ever bullet you plan to use. the company has been around since the fortys i think maybe longer.i know they used to do alot of military work. I would give stan a call. and see if that way may work for you.

I just took this 338 Edge to 3027 yards a week ago ! What a Rush !
20200410_104106.jpg

They are Amazing !!

Rum Man

I have 3 .338 rums so this is why I choose the edge I'm new to wildcat cartridges. Is there a benefit of the .338 Norma improved over the edge?

The ballistic's between the two are close. The 338 NMI seems to handle a little more pressure. We are getting same speeds but with 2" less barrel length. I own both so i can give a fair evaluation. Some people like that fact a 338 NMI with 300's pushed out to neck should junction can run as a repeater.

I have 3 .338 rums so this is why I choose the edge I'm new to wildcat cartridges. Is there a benefit of the .338 Norma improved over the edge?
Pretty much the only benefit is it is easy to run as a repeater. I have a 9lb 3 oz .338 Norma (not the improved version) and in a 24" barrel, send the 300's around 2700 fps, 265 ablr's around 2900, and the 270 badland bulldozer around 2840 fps. Another benefit however is that primer pockets with lapua and peterson brass last forever with the larger case head, more material around the same sized primer as an edge, so they are super tough. Not really a huge consideration, ADG brass is super tough as well.

Anyway, I run mine with a Wyatts 3.850" mag as a BDL, feeds great. 2+1, plenty for my use. The NMI with a 26" tube would be right there with an edge in performance, but can easily run as a repeater. My OAL is 3.680" with the 300 Berger at .020" off, so that would even run in a standard rem 700 mag box length. The 270 Badland Mono's are 3.830" or so at .025" off, they dictate a little longer mag box, but not a big deal.
rifle.jpg
badlands.jpg
badlands2.jpg
berger.jpg
berger2.jpg

I appreciate everyone's input to make it easier I'm looking for one that's not over 10 pounds that I can take hunting and use for some long range shots with friends and definitely want it to be aablento feed from a mag, not really interested in a single shot.

Mine is 14lbs with a moderately efficient brake engineered to reduce concussion to the shooter and spotter. Even with a maximal efficient brake I think a 10lb gun in this chambering is going to hurt. You're going to neuter it with a shortened barrel. And you're going to have to go with a REALLY light profile. Burning that much powder it's going to heat up really, really quick. And you will need to go with a lighter scope which doesn't have the long range features. Unless you meant 10lbs bare rifle weight, which is a bit more rational.

100gr h1000 in an edge!? That is waaaaay higher than I've been with 285 or 300s.
Someone said under 10lbs without a brake!? Guess I need to toughen up :)
Wait you didnt get the memo..they have a 5" box mag now !
I can't see that far! What kind of groups at that range? Some day I'll find 1000 yards!
Well I forgot to check the group size with a tape . It's all I can do to hike up to the target.
But the steel is 36" x 36 " and here is my two hits !
20200410_112824.jpg

Rum Man

Maybe 28" or 29 " ?? Heck I dont know .

I had an edge with a manners eh1 (1/2" recoil pad to save weight) and 28" Brux light Palma contour with a custom 4 port brake. It still smacked the heck out of you with 300gr smks. It weighed 12lb 8oz

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.