Why No Love For 270 Ackley Improved?

I pondered the idea of a 270AI, but was quickly dissuaded into building a 270 Weatherby instead.
Pluses are that it fits in the same size action and is really much faster than the 270AI could ever be.
I have used 22-250AI, 257BobAI and 338-06AI.
Of all, the only one I still have is the 22-250AI. all the others have been sent down the road or barrels removed.
In fact, I like my standard 338-06 much more than the AI version, less fuss and just gets the job done.

Cheers.

That's kind of the way I felt about the 6mm AI I had...just wasn't very impressive. The 6mm bullets were not much to speak of either in 1999 when I first built it...so I pulled the barrel and bumped it up to 308.

I pondered the idea of a 270AI, but was quickly dissuaded into building a 270 Weatherby instead.
Pluses are that it fits in the same size action and is really much faster than the 270AI could ever be.
I have used 22-250AI, 257BobAI and 338-06AI.
Of all, the only one I still have is the 22-250AI. all the others have been sent down the road or barrels removed.
In fact, I like my standard 338-06 much more than the AI version, less fuss and just gets the job done.

Cheers.
Yep. My 270wby is sending 150gr ABLR at 3360 fps from 27" bbl. Not top end pressure but the accuracy load.

There will always be a faster cartridge so it depends on what you want if cost is a major consideration, going to an AI makes a lot of sense. It will improve the performance and case life with very little change to anything and the benefit on being able to shoot factory ammo in a pinch can be invaluable at times.

If you look at velocity as the main goal, there are many cartridges that are faster that the 270 but they will require extensive changes to the bolt and may need a new barrel for the new cartridge.

I don't own a 270 Winchester any more for reason of the bullet selections, but they will shoot and kill well beyond lots of shooters ability. I won my first 600 yard match against some bad *** shooters
with a standard 270 in a sporter rifle shooting against target rifles with 32x scopes with only a 8 x scope, so I know the potential of the 270. I regret selling the 270 and if I had one today, It would be a 270 AI.

Faster is not necessarily better, just faster.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Consider this . My 270 Win rifle with 24" factory Bbl. I load the Barnes 129gr LRX. A load right out of the Barnes manual 59.5grs of Rel 19 . Clocks 3259 over my chrono. Barnes shows 3211 FPS. Shoots over my 550yd range flat & gets there right now. This is not a over the top unknown shade tree load. A well tested safe load. Primers on fired cases have rounded corners & after 6 shots still have snug primer pockets. No need to used extra primers & powder & time to blow out cases. Even if you were to gain 100fps which is unlikely your trajectory would gain only a fraction of inch at 300yds.

Yes and along that same line and for the deer size game at 400 and under, I use the 110TTSX at an easily achieved 3,420fps, can reach 3,500fps with Hunter, and this puts the 270Win in the same category as the 257Wea.

At typical woods and small field ranges on whitetail or Muley's, it is a great killer. A great way to have the velocity and performance of the 257Wea all in the same weapon.

I have built two through the years, gain is about 100fps with longer brass life. With some of the new bullets and a faster twist barrel it would be an excellent choice. I always thought it strange that the 6.5, .013 smaller or the 280, .007 larger could be so much better, except that there is no standard for the 6.5/06 and the 280 was loaded light for the autoloaders.

The good thing about the 06 case is the long neck, for barrel life and seating depth variation, same as the 6 and 7 mm Mousers, both of which I shoot in AI. Factory cases should be readily available. I shoot the same load forming factory cases as afterwards, usually it is a compressed load, and shoots fine, no problems, so no worry about wasting time and components fire forming. But, if conditions are bad and your cartridge gets dirty, the AI may not eject like the factory case, because of the straighter wall.

I guess if all you are after is bragging right in how fast it is....then go for it. For me, its not about speed or gaining every last .oooo1moa, it's about usefulness and ease to find components to load with. Now I am a old fart and still use paper and pencil for notes....so I am just behind the times

I guess if all you are after is bragging right in how fast it is....then go for it. For me, its not about speed or gaining every last .oooo1moa, it's about usefulness and ease to find components to load with. Now I am a old fart and still use paper and pencil for notes....so I am just behind the times

Then let's all return to black powder cartridges. Speed is what allows bullets to drop and drift less and carry more energy at extended ranges. Given the same bullet design and BC, I'll take a 300RUM over a 300 Savage any day in elk country.

After all, it is the constant quest for improved performance that brought us out of the black powder era and into LRH and beyond.

The P51 was a great plane for 1944, but how many would pilot it against today's jets? :)

The most popular in an 06 parent case is the 280 AI, next would be 6.5-06 AI. I used to have the 6mm AI.

I used to shoot a 270win until I "had" to have a magnum. It was fantastic for putting meat on the ground.

Went my dad built he told me ballisticly it was very close to being a magnum...without burning all the extra powder. So it seems it would be a natural to Ackley-ize!

Bullet selection is a tiny bit weak, but when (1999) I built my 6mm AI a 100gr bullet was the max you could get.

I have one more Savage receiver to build out but I'm still thinking 6.5, so the 6.5-06 is a very attractive choice to me right now. I might even AI that.

Any way...Why no love...270win Ackley Improved?
I would consider the 270 AI or 270 Sherman now simply because of the new 170 gr. Berger EOL, but it takes a 1/8" twist in a custom barrel to make it work. The 257 and 270 bullets haven't received much development in a high B.C. configuration until recently. I doubt it will crimp the sales of 7mm bullets, barrels etc. just by the market presence of everything 7mm.

I own a 270 Improved in a 15" barreled Encore pistol. 130 gr bullets exit the muzzle over 2950 fps. That is not as fast as it is capable of, I have had it up to 3050 but the recoil was offensive. When it was a 270 Winchester, 2750 was the best it would do. I don't know what this round would be capable of in a 22"+ barrel but judging the result of the short barrel I shoot, I think the invested time and effort was well worth the result.