Which rifle?

While I'm not a champion for the 6.5 as a elk cartridge, confidence with your rifle in the woods out way a lot of things. If your not confident with your weapon you are going to second guess yourself. Stick with the 6.5

6 mm and 243 are legal to hunt elk in most states and have taken a lot of elk. If you put the bullet were it belongs no problem with a 6.5.

Hey Desert, I just went to the 300 from the 7mm, what a difference in the two.
I shot 8 rds. with the boy and had enough of that, had a brake installed, the boy and I went out after rifle was returned with the brake three boxes later we were happy with both of the guns we were using.
Just my .02. Hhardrock

Ok so he said 175 yards. 1 shot. 143 eldx. Took 5 steps and dropped.
958DF350-AC1A-4AF2-8341-3DAF70B13D3A.jpeg

He's just not comfortable with the rifle itself. It hold good groups but not like he does with the 6.5. He knows the obvious stay off bone. He's just very good with his combo and I'd hate to change it up on him right before sounds like a easy way to make a mistake.
He has taken a few elk with a .270 and thought being what's he difference between a 140gr 270 and a 147gr 6.5? Not much. He is bringing the .300 as a back up and will be shooting. It more before he goes but he is doing very good with it. Was holding a 3" group at 400 in a windy day so I thought that was best choice especially after the guide said the are shooting short ranges like that.
The difference between these 2 rifles is between 300 and 400 fps. We all strive to make the best shot placement we possibly can, unfortunately, good ole Murphy can show up along with Robert Burns and things don't turn out as planned. You mentioned that he has used a 30-06 in the past and that is an excellent choice, particularly at the ranges you specify. Could you interest him in using this rifle?

At 500 yards, following Hornady ammo info, the 270 with a 145 vs the 6.5 with a 143 is 127 fps different. 270 faster. 3006 with a 178 x is 61 fps slower than the creed. All are over 1900 fps according to their data, so all should do what is required.

The whole 6.5 debate is pointless. Put a 140 grain bullet with high sectional density in the right place and it'll do the job just fine. At normal hunting ranges of point blank and less all these choices are very good, but the best is the one the shooter is the most comfortable with. Confidence and accuracy are key players in filling the tag.

My dad has killed 3 cows with the 147ELD-M's and all 3 have been bang flops out to 400yds. While I prefer bigger calibers my kids will probably be using the same combo in the years to come once they are old enough to hunt. It's a pretty proven combo from what I've seen.

If you would like some final reassurance, google 6.5x55 on moose in scandinavia. Ballistically identical to your pop's creedy. Plenty of good info out there

I choose the 147 based on it being a thicker jacket to the x so it should hold together fine.
I think Brent is correct. He has used 270 in the past and worked great so I followed the line of thought that no one ya issue with a 270 for elk but seem to for a 6.5.
Now part of that is how everyone thinks it's the baddest thing out so it does get some pushback from more experienced hunters. That being said it seem like a great choice for him. He now likes to shoot. He has been going every other day and starting at 300 yards and he's fueled right in.

I've hunted elk for 57 years and took my first one with my mom's custom 257 Roberts improved using old 120 Barnes bullets (copper tubing with lead core made in Denver) with over 100 bulls and lots of cows under my belt I've learned that big heavy bullets do better than light small slugs in general! With that said where u put the bullet makes all the difference in the world! If you have confidence with a rifle and can select your shots the chance of wounding game goes down! My mother took lots of elk with that 257 and daughter uses a 5lb custom 6.5x308 imp and both at 110# neither can or could handle a big 30 or338 mag. I've watched both take several elk with one shot kills and only a couple requiring a second shot!
Good luck to your dad and his hunt, I've us a follow up.

I choose the 147 based on it being a thicker jacket to the x so it should hold together fine.
I think Brent is correct. He has used 270 in the past and worked great so I followed the line of thought that no one ya issue with a 270 for elk but seem to for a 6.5.
Now part of that is how everyone thinks it's the baddest thing out so it does get some pushback from more experienced hunters. That being said it seem like a great choice for him. He now likes to shoot. He has been going every other day and starting at 300 yards and he's fueled right in.

I don't have much thought on the 147 vs 143. I've killed 9 wolves from 50-980 yards and bunches of coyotes but I hunt big game with a bow. I've guided many elk, deer, and bear hunts for rifle hunters tho and killed plenty of animals in my earlier years. I am supposed to be doing a big muley hunt in the back country soon and trying to decide on my rifle and bullet choice. It will be without a doubt a 6.5. The debate is creed vs PRC and which bullet. I will not be taking my 06, 300, 7mm, etc.

Just another option, If shots are going to be in the 150-200 range the 150gr reduced recoil 300 rem mag cor-lock should drop that critter in its tracts with proper shot placement. It worked for me many times.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.