which 300

I think any 30caliber is sufficient, limit the yards for the gun 308 300 yards, 06 400, 300 win, wsm 500, 300 weatherby and 300 RUM 600 yards....use the right bullet and some common sense. Either decide, nice pet rifle or a cannon

I currently have a Browning A-Bolt 300. wsm firing 180 grain Accubonds very accurately and love the caliber. i originally wanted to build another 300. wsm. Great caliber, and will keep up with the win mag unless you load larger then 190 grain bullets unless you use a long action. I am going to start my first build shortly and it will be in a 300. win mag firing 210 vld's. I will ahve a light weight and a tactical

Matt
I love my 300wsms, got a McWhorter, MG Arms, two winchester Mod 70 going to be built up, love the 150 and 165 grain on deer and bear TTSX, used 165gr TTSX on Bear and Elk with good results and 180 gr TTSX smashed Elk, 500# bear and a 200# deer.
Trying some berger 185 at 3000fps, love the round. Building one in a sniper configuration but your right for 200+ gr bullets going to use a 338 or jump to the 375 H & H

ok here it goes im looking at getting a 300 for elk my ? is which 300
the 300win. or the 300wsm i know both are good but to the ones have
shot both which you like and dislikes looking at 700 rem.

Between the two you've named'…, I'd have to go with the .300 WM, it's just a great all around .30 caliber cartridge; it's been proven on the battle field, target ranges and game field; just darn hard to beat.

My next pick would be a personnel favorite; the .300 RSAUM…. I've had great luck with this cartridge as long range target cartridge at Raton NM as well as a game cartridge. It's really a hand loaders cartridge, that where it show it real potential.

And last, but not necessarily behind the other two, the .300 Wby Mag a time proven game cartridge for about anything in the American game field.

Good luck

just ordered a Blaser in 300wm btw for traveling trips, would have ordered the 300 wsm but some law suit is keeping that caliber from being distibuted in the US:cool:

just ordered a Blaser in 300wm btw for traveling trips, would have ordered the 300 wsm but some law suit is keeping that caliber from being distibuted in the US:cool:

You must be referring too the suit by Jamison in 2005 or 2006? There's much speculation as too what happened with Jamison and the suit… some say he made millions but was not allowed to write about it… adding; that the Ammo guy's put out the word that anyone that runs his articles would be boycotted by them. In either case I don't think??? the suit is still on going. Also…. It doesn't take much to get on the bad side of the industry and get your wings clipped.
Here's something I found that might have the right idea on the suit.

SUING:
Several firearms manufacturers are huddling with legal counsels following receipt of letters from Shooting Times Ballistics Editor Rick Jamison. Jamison's not asking for information or assistance, and his letter doesn't come on behalf of the magazine where he's a long-standing expert editor.

Jamison's offering a legal settlement in avoidance of a lawsuit. According to these letters, Jamison's intellectual property was purloined by Winchester in their short magnums. He sued, winning a decision in a Missouri court (his state of residence). Winchester, the letter states, settled the claim as has fellow short-magnum rifle manufacturer Browning and Olin Winchester ammunition. In the heretofore unreported letters, Jamison is reportedly seeking a monetary "cure" from each manufacturer, in addition to an ongoing royalty for the sale of each rifle in the contested calibers.

The lawsuit is doubtless causing some heartburn at publishing powerhouse Primedia. As one of their established experts in shooting, Jamison's lawsuit may cause a backlash against them. At least one firearms company tells The Outdoor Wire that, on advice of counsel, they will defend the claim in court, and will begin amassing a "war chest" by cutting back on their advertising. Any guesses where their first belt-tightening might begin?

Cheers

WOW didnt know all of that, I just know I like the blaser and the 300wsm caliber.
thanks for the info

Well it's was a little off topic... With that said; I don't think you'll go wrong with the .300 WM.... that cartridge as "walked the walk and talked the talk" for many years.
Good luck with your new rifle.

Ballistically there isn't enough difference between the 300 WM & WSM to matter. The Win Mag has more factory options & the WSM allows you to save a couple ounces with a shorter action. If it's a mountain rifle, WSM makes sense, if you don't hand load there is an advantage with the WM. Which of those matters most to you?

Now if you open your comparison to the .300 Weatherby, .300 RUM & Weatherby .30-378 we could talk about major differences in ammunition availability, cost, performance, etc..

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.