Which rifle?

Just watched a 6x6 die after being shot with a 155 lapua scenar at 380 yards. Rifle was an 18" suppressed 30-06 shooting that bullet at 2775 fps. Scope was a 6x. Bull died fast.

Kid shooting was in sitting position using a Harris bipod. She had practiced out to 600 yards this summer in field positions. Should have let her use the 6.5 Creedmoor with the 147 ELD. Maybe next time.

Just watched a 6x6 die after being shot with a 155 lapua scenar at 380 yards. Rifle was an 18" suppressed 30-06 shooting that bullet at 2775 fps. Scope was a 6x. Bull died fast.

Kid shooting was in sitting position using a Harris bipod. She had practiced out to 600 yards this summer in field positions. Should have let her use the 6.5 Creedmoor with the 147 ELD. Maybe next time.

The ELD's seem to be similar to the amax for performance. I'v killed a pile of wolves and yotes with the 147 eld and had excellent results from 50-980 yards. Wouldn't hesitate to use on a elk. Might just do that soon on a buddies ranch.

He should take the rifle that allows him to put the bullet on the X with the most consistency and limit his shots to those that allow for that rifle to do the job.

I understand the hesitancy of using the 6.5 CM on elk, especially bull elk. But a 250 yard max limit should work OK for it.

I had a 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt Pro for Nevada hunting and recently purchased the same exact rifle in 6.5 PRC. That should do in a bull elk at 300 to 400 yards with Hornady 143 gr. ELD-X Precision Hunter ammo.

Also I just sold a .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt because I now have the 6.5 PRC rifle. So, no, you don't need the .300 Win mag.

If your dad really wants a new 30 caliber magnum to replace the .300 Win mag I strongly suggest a good bolt gun chambered in 300 PRC. Just don't get a Ruger American as they have no locking bolt - period.
The 300 PRC was recently chosen by the US Army for their new Barrett MRAD sniper rifles B/C of its inherent accuracy and it ability to handle the long, "heavy for caliber" bullets like 215 grains and up.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.