Which Rifle?

I'm a 338 guy, spent 23 October's and Novembers of my life chasing deer and elk in the San juans and Uncompahgre plateau, some years just deer some years elk, most years both, and throw in a couple of bears, I tagged out on over 3 dozen animals, that is some wide open country but only twice did I ever have a opportunity to shoot at what I believe to be long range, ( over 700 hundred yards ) I hung a tag on both animals, however most of these animals over half were under 50 yards, and not all them were standing broadside, the bullet of choice is the 250 gr Nosler partition I've thought about trying the accubond but why fix what ain't broke, with Elmer Keith's favorite load of H4821 that Nosler left the barrel of my Ruger 77 at over 2800 fps, having grown up reading Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor I'm more of a Keitharrian than a O'Connorright, but I would have no problem hunting with a 270, but there are shots I won't take with a 270, but with a 338 there isn't I shot I'd pass on,

Last edited:
Hands down, 30 Nosler, wouldn't even think twice. But that's just my opinion. Really whatever you are most comfortable and confident with.

Recent Posts