which 300

craneman73

ok here it goes im looking at getting a 300 for elk my ? is which 300
the 300win. or the 300wsm i know both are good but to the ones have
shot both which you like and dislikes looking at 700 rem.

Earlier this year I purchased a .300 Win Mag for elk hunting based primarily on the greater variety of factory ammo that is available for 300 WM. I generally hand load for all of my rifles. But, If I happen to get separated from my handloads, it's nice to know I can go into most sporting goods shops and buy a box of factory cartridges.

Due to my schedule, I have not had time to work up a load for my 300 yet. If I find a reasonably accurate factory load in the next couple weeks, I may hunt with the factory loads this year.

With proper shot placement, I do not think any elk will notice a difference between the two...

Warren

For 180 gr & lighter bullets is go WSM cause they seem to out perform the WM for less $ in powder. For larger bullets is go WM due to the larger case capasity for seating long bullets & having room enough for the powder to push em.

Your splitting hairs in actual performance, & it seems to me it is more of a preferance thing.
I love loading for my .270WSM, but hate loading for my .300Wby. The WSM is a beltless case (the parent case being the .404) I prefer these. The Wby & Win cases are belted simply because Holland & Holland used the belt for headspacing, & the craze of the "belted Magnum" was in full swing. I personally don't like the belt, & its just 1 more hoop to jump thru while setting up your loading dies. Not really harder, its just the fact that the belt is not needed, & therefore a waste of my time, & it irks me for some unknown reason. I like simplicity I guess. But I wouldn't hesitate on buying either rifle. Both are exelent. For me it would be WSM cause I even load my Wby with 180's. But you may want to launch heavier higher b.c. bullets so I guess the advantage would go to the WM for that.
It's a personal preferance thing I.M.O. because they are very close compared side by side.

Not enough difference to matter. Both are great guns, I have shot both. I have heard good things about what the superformance powder is doing in the wsm so that may be something to look at. But I would say get what you can get the best deal on and never look back. Find a load it likes and shoot, shoot, shoot!

I have a 25-06 in a 700 Rem that has been a great rifle and is my favorite deer rifle. However, I really like the feel, carry-weight, and accuracy of my Browning X-Bolt 300 WM. It is very accurate out to 300 yards (probably further if I were a better marksman) and is very predictable with factory rounds (especially Federal NP Partitions PT and Accubonds). Remingtion Core Lokt's worked OK as well. Federal 180 grain Nosler Partitions are more accurate at the distances I shoot and will my choice for an upcoming CO elk hunt.

Cartridge debates are the lifes blood of hunting forums. I love em. But in my estimation the rifle should should be chosen first. Then look at the available chamberings. Within reason of course. It's the rifle you're carrying,manipulating,aiming and ultimately firing at the intended game. If you don't like the location of the safety. The shape or material of the stock. The magazine or it's capacity. You won't enjoy the thing no matter what it's chambered in.
Availabilty of factory ammo is a point I guess. I never found myself in need of emergency ammo. The airlines held my rifle up for 1/2 a day once,but an ammo shortage wasn't the problem. If you are driving to your hunting destination there should be no earthly reason to be without your handloads. Forgetting them on the kitchen table isn't an option. Preference points,license drawings,clothing preperation,loading and sighting in of rifles and ammo. All this and "I forgot my shells"? Not likely. If you fly as opposed to driving there are ways around it there as well. Don't keep your eggs all in one basket.
As for the two choices facing you. Go handle a couple rifles. Remington alone has several models and combinations built around the 300 WM and 300 SM. From a performance standpoint there isn't enough to get too excited about either direction. I like long action rifles and their respective rounds. Sometimes I can make good use of the extra case capacity. Sometimes not. The length of the magazine ultimately dictates how deep I must seat long bullets. I seat bullets in my 300 RUM to function in the magazine. "in the lands" isn't an option. But, it put 3 Nosler 180 Partitions in a 3/8" group yesterday @ 100yds. I'm happy. Buying a factory sporter and expecting to run with a custom long range rifle at truely long range isn't likely eiher. So for the sake of cartridge debate lets keep it this side of 400 yds. Without getting all wound up in drop charts and hair splitting,either round will fill the bill as a big game chambering.
Find the rifle you love. Choose either the 300 Winchester or 300 Short Mag. Tailor the ammo to the rifle. Shoot the heck out of it. Establish your own drop chart through trial and practical range work. If you end up with a friend for life the mission was accomplished. If not.......you get to go look for another new rifle. It's a win win situation:cool::).

Last edited:
I am very fond of the 300 Win Mag. The long action allows use of even the larges bullets. Case capacity is a little more than the wsm and you will be hard pressed t find a chambering that has won more competitions than the 300 win.

Jeff

Ive had HS precision, winchester, Sako, Remington in 300wsm, have a McWhorter custom being built and just got my MG arms 300wsm. very accurate 150gr bst drop deer and antelope in their tracks, 180 gr tsx dropped my elk and 500 # bear. Love the short action, 22/23" barrels and super accurate. Going to try the 185 berger in the McWhorter rifle. Nothing wrong with 300 win mag but no reason unless you 26" barrel and a long bolt throw.

I personally prefer the .300 Weatherby. I handload and easily get really great groups (less than minute) out to 500 yds and with 180 gr Nosler Part. right at 3300 fps mv. I have an older Stoeger commercial mauser actioned rifle that I have restocked to fit me. My son has a .300 RUM and my Wby outshoots it consistantly using less powder and getting the same ballistics. Not a big fan of the short mags enough to replace my proven Wby.

Leaving Wednesday for Wyoming to fill my elk tag on a wilderness trip to Thorofare.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.