Which binoculars????

Horns&heels

Ok guys,
I'm going to Wyoming in oct for elk, and I'm trying to decide on 10x42's or 12x50's.
I'm looking at the vortex viper hd.
Any thought would be awesome!!

Thank you,
Jerry

The choice is probably dependent on your own personal style of hunting. 12x is better if you like to spend a majority of your time glassing big open country. 10x is likely the most versatile for all kinds of glassing (forests and open country).

The Vortex Viper HD's are great binocs. I've got a pair of 12x50's and the glass is excellent.

Depends entirely on the style of hunting you plan on implementing.

When I hike into the mountains sheep hunting, carrying a 45-50 lb pack and 10lbs of rifle, I carry Swaro 8x20mm pocket binoculars. I also have an 18x riflescope, my partner has a 24x riflescope, and I carry a 15-45 power Zeiss spotting scope. The 18x and 24x riflescopes have crystal clear optics/resolution at maximum power. A lot of fine detail can be seen simply thru these riflescopes across a solid rest. The binoculars are used for scanning the country/mountains. Riflescopes and spotting scope for a refined view.

I have 8x30 Swaro binoculars I'll use if I'm not packing as far. I'll still have 18x or 24x scope power for refined examination of the animal.

What other glass are you packing, how far are you walking from a vehicle/horse/camp where you're on you're own, and how much weight/volume are you packing?

I couldn't decide even for myself without more information.

I use the 10x42 Vortex Viper HD for all of my hunts. They are the best Bino's I have ever used. You would not be disappointed. If you have the funds for the 12x50 I would go that direction. There is never to much. Good luck with our decision.

Thank you for all the input!!
I think the 12's would be great for elk hunting,
But the 10's would better for whitetail hunting here in missouri.
We're gonna be hunting in south central Wyoming. My sendero has
A vortex 6x24, so I guess I'm leaning towards the 10x42's.
Keep the advice coming:)

Thanks
Jerry

The 10x40 are a good to handle. If you go with the 12's figure on some kind of bi or tri pod too stabilize the vibrations with. Holding them steady will be one of your biggest challenges. Your eyes won't like you after a long glassing session if not.

Got the 10x42 vipers this season. Liked them so much i bought the rangefinder as well and love it too. The first hand stories ive heard on customer service that had nothing to do with a faulty product are astounding. I'm a leupold guy and their service make leupold look silly. Planning on the 11-33x spotting scope next. Compact and lightweight with great glass at a price that if you lose it you wont want to cut your wrist.
Best of luck, Nathan

I currently carry 10x42 on all my hunt except when bowhunting in the tickets.

I was at my local Scheel's store checking out some binoculars are $600 price range for a friend and I was surprise with my findings (for my old eyes). The glass are very close to each other but I ranked them overall very closely as follows:

1. Scheel's Paragon 10.5x43. $499
2. Vortex Viper HD 10x42. $599
3. Nikon Monarch 7 ATB 10x42. $599
4. Zeiss Terra ED 10x42. $499

The 10x40 are a good to handle. If you go with the 12's figure on some kind of bi or tri pod too stabilize the vibrations with. Holding them steady will be one of your biggest challenges. Your eyes won't like you after a long glassing session if not.

This is spot on. Elk are big animals and fairly easy to spot when not in heavy cover. I personally wouldn't go w/ the vipers, might as well step up to the razors for a few hundred more. Compare the specs

Where are you finding the razors for a few hundred more, ohio? Although im extremely happy w the vipers, i have a friend that always prefers to pay more and i couldnt find the razors for any less than double the price of the vipers. The swarovskis were hovering around 3k when i was looking at them a few months back. Not really at all in the same ballpark as the vipers, but my uneducated eyes couldnt tell the difference on a resolution board. Not what the op was looking to spend from his initial post.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.