Which Rifle?

Elk seem to dislike day light. If one of your rifles had a luminated reticle take it. If not an option go 338 those big bullets kill and don't wreck meat. Back yorself up with the 30 Nosler. That would be my way of looking at it.

I'd vote 30 nosler or 338 short but that's just me.

No such thing as too much horse power when elk on the target.

I shot one last year with a great shot and later showing excellent inteternal damage from a 230 berger at 550 yards from my nos. To my disbelief he somehow got to his feet several minutes after the shot. Another bullet 6 inched higher ended any thoughts of dropping to the bottom of the canyon.

Headed to Colorado for a mule deer/elk hunt in a few weeks. Cant decide on which rifle to take. Hunting a private ranch, so not concerned about weight since we utilize ATVs and hunt out of blinds for the most part. I shoot all these from my tripod so they all have Arca attachments. Here are the details of each rifle. I am leaning toward the 270 SS as a fun do it all rifle while taking the 30 Nosler as backup. What are your opinions?

338 Sherman Short
  • Manners EH1 Stock
  • 26" Barrel
  • Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15
  • Silencerco Hybrid
  • 250 Berger 2750 FPS / 225 Accubond 2840 FPS
30 Nosler
  • Mesa Precision Altitude
  • 26" Barrel
  • Leupold Mark 5 5-25
  • Silencerco Omega
  • 180 Accubond 3180 FPS

270 Sherman Short
  • MPA UltraLite Chassis
  • 20" Barrel
  • Leupold Mark 5 3.8-18
  • Silencerco Omega
  • 150 Accubond LR 3075 FPS
30 cal gets my vote.

Im thinking the 270ss and 30 Nosler need to come. The 30 Nosler obviously is a bigger, heavier bullet (which is always a good thing when shooting at elk). I may just have to flip a coin each morning to decide which rifle comes with that day. Man, woe is me for having such a problem!

Yup first world problems for sure.

I've shot my 39 nos just a little this year but have shot it extensively for the last two and validated drops to 1k.

Been working on the 7 saum this year and it's validated to 6 as of now with a couple trips planned to 1k prior to the hunt. Bonus is its a full pound lighter.

Best of luck to ya

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm ending up with the 270ss and 30 Nosler making the cut. I really want to shoot an elk and deer with the 270ss but am going to have the 30 Nosler on standby in case the shot is a little longer. But pushing those 150 ABLR at 3075 fps, I am showing 2191 FPS and 1599 FT-LB of energy out at 800 yards.

What a great problem to have!! Just went thru the same agony for a moose hunt and laughed at myself the whole time😄 it's a real problem!!!