Which Rifle for Idaho Elk unit 28 ?

1100 Remington Man

Going to see some new country to me this year Idaho self guided hunt for Elk. I have 2 rifles I use for big game both model 70s one a .264 Win Mag in H.S Precision with leupold 3.5x10 40mm CDS with windage dial added at factory, Other is Pre 64 300 H&H with 1.75x5 Burris in original wood stock.
The .264 Win Mag shoots under 2.5 inch groups at 300 yds & the 300 H&H shoots 5 inch groups at 300 yds with Nosler 180 gr Nosler Parations I believe the rifle is capable of better accuracy but it would need a better scope. I will admit I like the Model 70 XTR .264 Win Mag better. The weight difference is about 1.5 lbs. differences between the 2 rifles, I am told northern Idaho is rough country & I'm sure I will have to put on some miles & we know we hike more than we shoot. So do I rescope the 300 H&H or Just buy some .264 Nosler 140 AB ? Or 130 gr Swift AccuBond.
I have no illusions of shooting beyond 800 yds & to date the longest shot I have made on a big game animal is a Antelope at just over 500 yds.
It might sound funny but my Varmit rifles are Remington's & Big Game rifles are Winchester. Thanks & Good Hunting.

I have shot many elk with my 264 and they are just as dead as if they had been hit with something bigger. Take the 264 and make some great memories.:) gun)

Either will do the job, HOWEVER, how can you go wrong with the classic 300 h & h? What a classic elk round. I'd go with whatever you are comfortable with but above all, get yourself a stairmaster cause you gonna need it.

Randy

Either will do the job, HOWEVER, how can you go wrong with the classic 300 h & h? What a classic elk round. I'd go with whatever you are comfortable with but above all, get yourself a stairmaster cause you gonna need it.

Randy

I'm a sucker for a good 300 H&H. Have you tried other/heavier bullets? 200 Accubonds worked well for me Antelope to Elk. A lighter stock might make the comparison easier, but its always choosing between two good choices that gets tough. What year H&H have you got?

The Model 70 300 H & H I have is from 1939 it has the old safety. Yes I have started working out & need to do more. I am looking forward to seeing new country. Is it worth it to buy a wolf tag ?

I thought mine was 1941, but after looking it up myself 1946. I liked mine very much. Like anything else barrels only go so far, its a 338 RUM these days. I have many moments I wish I'd went 300H&H again. Never cared for the stock pattern, but thats an easy fix these days. Thanks, and I agree you have to have a wolf tag, its just good manners.

Well I guess I will buy one Wolf Tag, but since I'm a member of the three S's society, shoot shovel & shut up. one will be enough. I do shoot the 300 H&H well, it's just heavier & I'm told this will be some rough country. With the 300 H&H all I have shot for reloads is Nosler Partitions 180gr at about 3000 FPS & for me this is as much recoil I want in a rifle. Below is a groups I shot at 100 yds just rotated target 90 degrees for each group & yes the one in the middle was a called flinch. I never can shoot this rifle more than 20 rounds at a sitting but it has a steel butt plate. I would feel comfortable shooting to 500 yds on a Elk with this load. I just don't know if I need more range in Idaho ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 128
Take the 3.5-10 off the 264 and put it on the 300 and have another CDS dial built and take the 300 unless you want to buy a new scope. I'm just not a fan of the 264 for elk. A friend of my son shoots a 264 and two seasons ago crippled a bull couple hours before dark. The ravens led me to him the next afternoon piled up in the canyon about two miles from where he was shot spoiled. The shot placement wasn't all that bad. You know how that stuff goes. The kid was really bummed

Anyway I would lean towards the 300 and the groups would probably get a little better with a little more scope as you stated. If you are going to re-scope take a look at the new offering from Vortex the HS-T.

And yep get a wolf tag and fill it!!

kcebcj I have a 4.5 x 14 40mm CDS on a .223 Remington also would you prefer it to the 3.5x10 40mm CDS ? I was also wondering about your Son's friend who lost the ELk, what bullet was he shooting ? Thanks

I have no idea what bullet the kid was shooting. They were over the counter loads. There is nothing wrong with the 4.5-14 if you have it. You might have a better view on the low side with the 3.5-10 like in the timber but the 4.5-14 would be pretty good also.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.