Idaho Unit 40 Elk

Woodsandwater

I drew a Bull elk tag for units 40&42 in Idaho October 15-November 24.
Any advice on how to hunt this unit? I am planning taking a week off of work to hunt, would you do it early in the season, bulls still might be talking a bit, or later when it cools down and they move more during the day? Any thoughts, advice, or opinions are much appreciated!

That area is covered in private property. I have scouted and provided services for that area a couple of times. I have glassed many 350 plus bulls and we tagged one at 365. Last year we a kid tag a 300. He was only 13 and the hunting pressure was nuts that day. He took the best available shot he had. Depending on weather and pressure the elk move on to the private ranches pretty quick.

Hunted it on the early hunt with my son some years ago. Once their horn's go hard they go from being easy to find to being hard as they melt into all that thick Juniper country.

The number of elk in that country is not high, so you better hope for snow and then hope you can find out where they are early in your week.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.