Colorado Unit 40 Elk

cowboy1911

Hello,
My son is stationed in the Coast Guard in NC and is a Colorado Resident. He has enough Elk Preference points to draw a Unit 40 First Rifle Season tag this year. I'm doing the legwork for him and we're looking for a trustworthy outfitter for a quality hunt in Unit 40. With his job, this will be the first time we've been able to go together for 20 years. He'll be retiring next year and this is my retirement gift to him. Do any of you have any experience or knowledge of an outfitter that can provide a quality hunt?
Thanks,
Tony

I would call the Division of Wildlife in Grand Junction 970-255-6100 see if they can help you. I,m on the south end of the unit, but don't have any recommendations.

I would call the Division of Wildlife in Grand Junction 970-255-6100 see if they can help you. I,m on the south end of the unit, but don't have any recommendations.
Thanks, I called them last week, but they can't recommend outfitters or even say who stay away from.... They just said google unit 40 outfitters and research them. There's several and they are willing to provide references, but I'm sure they will only provide ones they know will recommend them. That's why I'm asking here. 8K is a lot for me to risk spending without solid intel. Thanks!

I've seen a couple posts on other forums suggesting Mike Lawson with Trophy Class Outfitters. Don't know the man or his operation, but he was suggested by a couple guys that live in that area.

I've seen a couple posts on other forums suggesting Mike Lawson with Trophy Class Outfitters. Don't know the man or his operation, but he was suggested by a couple guys that live in that area.
I talked to Mike also last week. He's already booked out to 2024. He couldn't recommend anyone else either. Thank you though!

My guess is that all of the best outfitters in 40 are booked for several years. They may have a cancelation but that would be a giant risk.