Which boots?

Proving my point genius. Using your words - all we see is Crispi marketing "BS" on all these forums. He asked for opinions. I have one. Based on use. Sorry I'm not sorry that my real-world advice from 600+ boot-miles a year in three states just defecated in your morning big glass of Crispi Kool-Aid. Your post to me, based on because you were offended, didn't help him. Mine has a chance, yours doesn't.

CLOWNBUSTER

Behavior warning

Ok Len thanks for spanking.
Bmccart, all boots are equally great, some are just more equally great, especially the Crispi's. So just buy those.

My first pair of Danner Pronghorns (1200 gram) served me well for 7 seasons. I liked them so much that I bought 2 more pairs. My current Pronghorns are in their 8th season and I still have one new pair that I will more than likely break in and use next year.

NEW BOOT SUGGESTIONS:
1. set in bathtub and fill with warm water - let sit 30 minutes
2. empty boots and drain for 10 minutes
3. wear in house for a few hours until you are satisfied they fit well with the socks you will use. If not let dry thoroughly and return for better sizing.

This method is a fast, clean way to get the boots wet (but not with your seat) for break-in.

VBL WARMTH:
* VBL = Vapor Barrier Liner, which is clothing worn to keep sweat vapor from wetting out the insulation your are wearing.
1. Buy 3 mm thick closed cell neoprene divers' socks & several pair thin poly sock liners. (Best brand I've found is US Divers B/C they are factory seam sealed and have shaped left and right foot to avoid bunching at the toes.)
2. At the end of each day remove divers socks and liner socks. Put damp, stinky liner socks in Ziploc bag and seal!
3. Turn divers socks inside-out to dry then put in sleeping bag to get warm for morning.
4. Put on new liner socks and heavy "sleep socks".

This way you will have dry boots to put on every morning IF the boots have a GTX or similar breathable waterproof liner. Agony can be illustrated by donning frozen boots in the morning while trying to make breakfast and break camp. The pain in your toes tells you there must be a way to avoid it. There is.

Eric B.
BTW, If you take insulated boots this VBL method is absolutely necessary.

Litehiker, I would think your feet would sweat more with the diving socks, or is that not the case? Also, should you go up in boot size with the diving socks?

I'm sold on the Redwing Elk Trackers. Great comfy boot. I hunt in Wyoming and they fit well and durable.

well, this is evidence of unicorns. The original pronghorns were great, they were made of quality materials, comfortable and held up a few seasons for hard hunting. Once they outsourced to China, they became useless shams imo.

the bad thing is that they feel great in the store, so ppl buy them..... they fail almost immediately and are too weak to provide any ankle support.
I love them - just bought another pair this year. I always buy insoles, maybe thats why I don't have issues? I hunt hard in them too.

I love them - just bought another pair this year. I always buy insoles, maybe thats why I don't have issues? I hunt hard in them too.

How many years do you get out of a pair of Pronghorns?

I only ask, because I'm trying to figure out what is a reasonable $$/Year ratio for boots. The 400Gram Insulate Pronghorns are now $240, they were $179 when I sold them at Cabela's 8 years ago. I'd see most customers only get 1 season, possibly 2, out of them back then.

Based off my experience and how many hunters I spoke with, I (personally) would assume the average hunter gets 2 years out of a pair, so $120/Year investment. In my opinion, they are super comfy, but NOT a mountain hunting boot, I'd only recommend them to folks for logging roads, upland or whitetail hunting (not elk or mulies).

My experience with high-end "mountain boots" is limited to Kennetrek, Meindl and Schnees. Average cost for these would be $400 - $450. My experience shows that I typically get 4 years of really hard use out of them, sometimes 5 (including spot-n-stalk Spring Bear, Spring Turkey, Archery Elk, Rifle Mulies, Chukkar/Quail/Pheasants and all forms of Scouting). This would be $100/Year investment AND they provide much more ankle support in my opinion.

I'm glad that some of you have had such great experience with Pronghorns. the ones I owned, and a LOT that I sold, did not meet the mark for Western Big Game hunting.

I only ask, because I'm trying to figure out what is a reasonable $$/Year ratio for boots. The 400Gram Insulate Pronghorns are now $240, they were $179 when I sold them at Cabela's 8 years ago. I'd see most customers only get 1 season, possibly 2, out of them back then.

Based off my experience and how many hunters I spoke with, I (personally) would assume the average hunter gets 2 years out of a pair, so $120/Year investment. In my opinion, they are super comfy, but NOT a mountain hunting boot, I'd only recommend them to folks for logging roads, upland or whitetail hunting (not elk or mulies).

My experience with high-end "mountain boots" is limited to Kennetrek, Meindl and Schnees. Average cost for these would be $400 - $450. My experience shows that I typically get 4 years of really hard use out of them, sometimes 5 (including spot-n-stalk Spring Bear, Spring Turkey, Archery Elk, Rifle Mulies, Chukkar/Quail/Pheasants and all forms of Scouting). This would be $100/Year investment AND they provide much more ankle support in my opinion.

I'm glad that some of you have had such great experience with Pronghorns. the ones I owned, and a LOT that I sold, did not meet the mark for Western Big Game hunting.
I generally get 4 years. Thats elk and mule deer hunting in idaho, several scouting trips leading up to those, a bear hunt in the spring(also spot and stalk), a week or two of pheasant hunting, and more coyote hunting trips than I can count.

Going on my first elk hunt next fall, gonna buy a pair of boots here in the next week or so to be able to get them broke in this season. Kennetrek, crispi etc are out of my price range. Wanting to stay under $300. Going to be going during 3rd rifle season in Colorado. I'm thinking a 400 or 600 gram boot with a heated insole that I can turn on when I get where I'm going. I think 1000 is too much because my feet sweat bad. I do have merino socks already also

mainly looking at the danner powderhorn, danner elk hunter or the Irish setter elk tracker.

who has experience with these or recommendations for others in this price range? I mainly hunt whitetails in MO and the only hunting boots I've worn for the last 10 years are my muck woody elites so any advise is appreciated.

Take a look at Saloman Boots.

Going on my first elk hunt next fall....
You can find a lot of good boots but so many are only good when dry, as some are mentioning. Get yourself a good leather boot then go over to wiggys.com and pick up a pair of lamilite socks. You will never go back.

Take a look at Saloman Boots.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Salomon running sneakers, but the Salomon boot line is the antithesis of a third season CO boot IMO. No insulation, waterproof for a day, no ankle support.

they are a great archery boot (for someone that does a lot of training and has strong legs). even then, I'd put on a stiffer boot as soon as I got back to my truck with the first load of meat.

The best thing you can do is try them on fit is the most important part also use spray antiperspirant on your feet it helps cut way down on the sweating it is a Miracle Worker

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.