Which 7mm for a Tikka?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by palerider3, Oct 21, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. palerider3

palerider3 Well-Known Member

Im kinda getting bored with the current stable so I figured I'd change up my Tikka. Just ordered a 22" Proof carbon Sendero light in .284 8 twist to replace the current 6.5 GAP barrel and a mesa precision altitude stock to swap out the greyboe. I'm debating between 7wsm and 7SAUM but I haven't written off 7 rem mag completely yet either. I really like the lighter recoil of the 6.5 gap I have now but am looking for something more in the middle of my 6.5 Creed and 300WM hunting rifles. The Tikka limits me to 3.4" so I'm worried about the rem mag running out of mag length and I feel a long throated SAUM or WSM should really shine here. I already have metal long action WSM mags so that's not an issue. Mainly I'm concerned about quality brass availability. There are only a few makes for either it seems, though I find more for the WSM than the SAUM. What are your thoughts on which 7mm for a Tikka? Thanks, Sam.

2. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I would take the Rem mag of the list personally. I would do a 7 MAX from Sherman Wildcats to get the most out of the Tikka, the 7 WSM is all but dead, the 7 SAUM throated is nice but you can get more with the MAX in the same brass.

elkaholic and Hatrick like this.
  3. Mram10us

Mram10us Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

7saum is hard to beat. 22” barrel for supp?

Ron Milby and Calhntr like this.
  4. Bfish22

Bfish22 Well-Known Member

I’m in the same boat but I’m stuck between the saum and blaser mag...think I’m leaning towards the 7mm blaser, it seems like the perfect cartridge for a tikka action

Kiwi Greg likes this.
  5. djfriesen

djfriesen Well-Known Member

Totally agree. 7RM is limited by the Tikka mag length. 7MAX would be my choice.

6. palerider3

Yeah, 22" for suppressor. Most my hunting guns have 20" barrels but I figured id give a longer barrel a try in this one since I have a Crux Nemisis 338 coming that's shorter than my current hunting suppressor.

7. Hatrick

Hatrick Well-Known Member

Since you reload, I’m with big green. Get in touch with elkaholic.

Longshotjames likes this.
  8. palerider3

I handload 2500+ rifle rounds a year, but I have enough wildcats right now. I'm not chasing speed with this gun, so I'm sticking to something I don't have to form brass for.

9. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

A throated SAUM works very well for these, the 7 Blaser fits the magnum Tikka mag box with 175 Berger's perfectly as well.
    The first hundred or so rounds are fire forming any way on a new barrel waiting for it to break in and stabilize so like the max isn't hardly a wildcat, Rich's stuff is more main stream than some of the factory stuff anymore!

10. LVJ76

LVJ76 Well-Known Member

7mm Rem Mag would be my choice, lots of brass options available and you can get some good bullets going fast if needed. This cartridge simply works great.

Calhntr likes this.
  11. Andrew Massi

Andrew Massi Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

You literally have a short magazine so the wsm or saum make the most sense right?

12. cjl2010

cjl2010 Well-Known Member

You could throat a 284 win. Peterson brass seems to be quality stuff.

13. JJMoody

JJMoody Well-Known Member

7 Sherman short or a SAUM

Ron Milby and Calhntr like this.
  14. Win.308Stealth

Win.308Stealth Well-Known Member

7 SAUM!!!!