Which 6mm for coworker's new rifle

Coworker came to me asking for advice, mistake #1 on his part, mistake #2 was open ended budget parameters.

He was wanting something that his kids could shoot without fear of inducing recoil flinch and something inherently accurate out of the gate. His kids are 8, 11 and 13, boy sandwiched between two sisters, but all love to shoot and hunt with ARs.

My first suggestions:

#1 was to use a Manners MCS-CS 2 with a Hawkins BDL bottom metal inlet for adjustability among the kids and allow it to grow with them.

#2 was to use a Pierce Titanium action to counter some of the weight of the stock.

#3 was a Brux #2 7 twist to take advantage of the heavier bullets

#4 was Talley Lightweight mounts

That was about where we ended, then we discussed chamberings, I see no reason to go anywhere other than the 6mm Creedmoor, just the available factory options alone and it's very easy to tune and load. But I made the mistake of comparing case capacities with the 243 Winchester and 6mm GT.

View attachment 404062

He reloads for multiple calibers, but he's old school, 308, 30'06, 270 and 7mag bolt rifles, 223/5.56 and 308 ARs.

I still lean 6mm Creedmoor, but those capacities have me pondering and reloading/shooting the 100-108gr bullets, I still think his best option is the 6mm Creedmoor.

Suggestions?
I have mine shooting a 6 Creed. My youngest of 3 daughters just turned 7 and has just been shooting a 22lr. Let her have 1 shot with the 6 Creed at 770 yds the other day and she hit within 6 inches of center. 105 VLD at 3050 has taken deer out to 695 and Antelope out to 763yards. I would want Lapua brass.
3E897A1C-5EEE-4B74-96B5-74884FDA9446.jpeg
F612E041-99F5-4D67-9105-51BDD7F176EF.jpeg

Step 1: Drive to Haltom City
Step 2: Buy 6 Creed from APR
Step 3: Be Happy

🤣

243 AI for the win.
It's a great design 👍 The only time I'd choose a 6mm Rem derivative over a 243 Win is if I could get a reamer made that moves the shoulder a full .100" forward and blows out the case walls, but that's a lot of movement to ask of the case, and would probably end up short mouthed.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of the GT. Near 6 Creed performance with much less powder and recoil and barrel life of the GT is quite impressive when compared to the other 6's.

I'm pushing the Berger 105 Hybrid around 3050fps with no pressure and after 5 loadings, I haven't lost a piece of brass yet.

For those kids, i think the 6CM is the right choice. Plenty of factory ammo and brass avail if decides to reload. Ballistically, they will work fine but don't overdo it on chasing speed as recoil comes with it.

I'm a huge fan of the GT. Near 6 Creed performance with much less powder and recoil and barrel life of the GT is quite impressive when compared to the other 6's.

I'm pushing the Berger 105 Hybrid around 3050fps with no pressure and after 5 loadings, I haven't lost a piece of brass yet.
Just a word of caution, there's no free lunch in the gun world.

My son killed a lot of blacktail and practically wore out a 243 with 100 grain bullets an H4350.

With that said I really like the 6.5's for kids.
The Creedmoor has lots of factory ammo options if muley's or a possible elk tag migh come up I would step up to a 6.5.

Coworker came to me asking for advice, mistake #1 on his part, mistake #2 was open ended budget parameters.

He was wanting something that his kids could shoot without fear of inducing recoil flinch and something inherently accurate out of the gate. His kids are 8, 11 and 13, boy sandwiched between two sisters, but all love to shoot and hunt with ARs.

My first suggestions:

#1 was to use a Manners MCS-CS 2 with a Hawkins BDL bottom metal inlet for adjustability among the kids and allow it to grow with them.

#2 was to use a Pierce Titanium action to counter some of the weight of the stock.

#3 was a Brux #2 7 twist to take advantage of the heavier bullets

#4 was Talley Lightweight mounts

That was about where we ended, then we discussed chamberings, I see no reason to go anywhere other than the 6mm Creedmoor, just the available factory options alone and it's very easy to tune and load. But I made the mistake of comparing case capacities with the 243 Winchester and 6mm GT.

View attachment 404062

He reloads for multiple calibers, but he's old school, 308, 30'06, 270 and 7mag bolt rifles, 223/5.56 and 308 ARs.

I still lean 6mm Creedmoor, but those capacities have me pondering and reloading/shooting the 100-108gr bullets, I still think his best option is the 6mm Creedmoor.

Suggestions?
I have a 243 win, 6mm-06, 243 wssm 243 why, and a 6mm br... hands down favorite of my 2 boys, (8-13 ) is the 6mm br. It's super accurate very little recoil, and kills deer like lightning. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your endeavor.