which 6mm ???

BUNDUKI

This is my first post after lurking on this site for quite some time now so please excuse me if its in the wrong section.
I have a Mike Rock ABS wrapped barrel 1:8 twist 26" in 6mm. My original intention was to chamber it in .243AI but i am having second thoughts as i don't want the hassel of fireforming and loss of barrel life in doing so.
The rifle will be used long range target shooting and for deer out to 450yds so i am wondering what you guys would chamber it in?
thanks
BUNDUKI

Hard to beat a straight up 243win.

6xc sounds like a good one too, little bit less powder to get the same velocities, maybe a bit more life as a result of using less powder?

I'm sending 115's out of a 1 in 7.7, around 1700fps @ 1k, still supersonic past 1600yds.

450yds would just be a chip shot for ya! Send some 105's outa that 1 in 8.

Last edited:
I have a 6-284 with a 1-8 5C broughton. I doubt your gonna be able to shoot the 105 amaxs out of this twist unless you keep them below 3150fps. I'm shooting the 115 VLD's now in mine at a mildly loaded 3100 fps.

PM me if you want any info from my experiances or opinions. I'm not opening myself up to a heated thread debate. I know if you do a search on 6-284 on here it brings up some very very informative threads on bullet failure issues from people that actually know what they are talking about.

If you don't mind a barrel burner the 6-284 is a hell of a caliber if you get the twist and bullets right so you can drive them hard! And it's as simple as just neckin down 6.5-284 brass. And the 6.5-284 has some excellant brass choices out there...mainly being Lapua.

"Just my .02"

thanks for the replies guys.
i know there is nothing wrong with the standard .243 i just fancy something a little diferent. both the 6xc and 6x47lapua and swiss match intrest me greatly, the 6-284 looks awsome but how short is the barrel life and what projectiles will stand up to that velocity increase at closer ranges?

thanks for the replies guys.
i know there is nothing wrong with the standard .243 i just fancy something a little diferent. both the 6xc and 6x47lapua and swiss match intrest me greatly, the 6-284 looks awsome but how short is the barrel life and what projectiles will stand up to that velocity increase at closer ranges?

Hard to go wrong with the 6mm Rem, think of it as a 243 AI.

I'm not 100% on this but I think it was Fiftydriver that had some very informitive post on this subject. While the 105 AMAX was having failure issues he did do studies with this caliber shooting the 95gr nosler ballistic tip. Even though this isn't a true long range bullet his studies showed winddrift and drop out to 1K very close to the AMAX because of the fact you can drive much much faster.

I know out of mine the berger 115VLDS have yet to fail on me. They have a hunting jacket and Match jacket. I have shot 100 of each and yet to have a failure out of either.

Barrel life for me is yet to be determined. I'm expecting 1000 rounds or more. As of now I am at 170 rounds. We checked the throat at 100 rounds and could not tell a noticeable change.

How much will you be shooting this? For me and this was just my opinion 1000-1200 rounds wasn't bad. It would take me two to three years to shoot this many and when I did I had the barrel made long just to be able to set it back later. Now some may shoot this in a year which yes that would be a little differant issue then.

If I had to choose another 6mm to build other then the 6-284 I wouldn't think twice about the 6x47 lapua. JMHO

JUDD thanks for your info
i think i would shot out the 6-284 in too short a time to justify it having spent a lot on the abs barrel.
what do you think of the 6x47 lapua in regards of barrel life?

My requirements were almost identical and after months of posts in several forums and correspondence with knowledgable people mine will be a straight 243 Win.
6XC is smaller case than I want. Fireforming put me off many alternatives and easily available components are important here. 243 case was my choice; you may look at Joe Hendriks' 6mm Comp Match (CM) or the 243 BRK and 6mm Super-X. All are 243 based. If not for my requirements the Lapua case seems a great alternative. If I lived in the US I may have tried the 6mm CM.
I chose the easy route on reamers and dies too.
Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.