Which 6mm?

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
After my .243's embarassing performance last weekend, I've started thinking about a new bbl. I know this one shouldn't be shot out after only 1000-1200 rounds, but it is just not shooting like it did. I'm sure the fact that I didn't even know how to clean a gun much less break in a bbl when I got it didn't help either.

What I'm lookin for is a user friendly 6mm to shoot the heavier bullets offered. I'll probably try the 115 gr Bergers first, unless Richard gets his 6mm dies in and has something better for me to try. I'm not the speed freak I used to be and would like something w/decent bbl life and that is user friendly for my new 1000 yd pd killer. Fireforming is fine, but I don't want to have to go through 2 or 3 fire formings.

I've been looking really hard a .243 AI. I know the bbl life is not that long but it would probably be close to what I got out of the factory tube.

I'm going to order a prechambered and threaded bbl from Pac-Nor so all I have to do is screw it on. I know this is not the best way to do things but in just makes sense for me @ this time.

Thanks for the info,
B.J.

6mmAI will offer a little more performancewise, and the longer neck on the case will save your throat a little in theory.

I wanted to biuld one of the best LR gopher getter &amp; paper puncher. After talking to a Bench rest rifle maker he told me this might just be what your looking for. I'm thinking 30-32 inch 1.25 taper to 1 inch and 1:8 twist.

Anyway I went out and bought a Rem 700 243 just for the action

http://www.6mmbr.com/6XC.html

I've thought about this as well. Problem is, a reliable source told me the brass is about 6 months out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Maybe I should call and see.

You'll never get the 6xc brass. I've been on the list for nearly a year. I don't know what ya shoot, but the 6br and it's improved brothers amount to a pretty sweet system.

I'd have to reccomend the 243AI. Lapua brass is as good as it gets and I'm not that sure you need to shoot anything bigger than the 107's. I went with a 30" tube and can get 3300fps from the amax with good accuracy.

Hey Bill,

I had a 243 AI built /barrelled by GA Precision as you may recall , 26" Schneider 7.5 twist on a Sako action I had. No regrets ! Fireform loads will shoot one hole at 100 and 1 " at 300 ( 38 grs H4350 107 smks touching) That is without tinkering with the brass( lapua) at all..

I have only just begun to work with this rig , at present I am working on a 115 DTAC load.

Bill , you are welco9me to call me days if you want to ask whatever , email me and I will give some nos. you can reach me at days.

Oh yeah the contour is only 5.5 , so if you have a 7 hv built it should get even better , reckon if I had to do it over I would have went with the 28" bbl ( or 30 ? : )

Jim

Bill,

I forgot to mention that the brass is still holding 4 thou neck tension after 6 reloads , this is with a Lee collet die , aaannnd runout is at or less than 1 thou still ( using a Neco tool to measure )

I'm sure there are more things to say about the round , but i may have to sleep to remember : )

Jim

I know a lot are saying 243 AI but what about a standard 6mm REM? No fire forming which will save you some barrel life. The 6mm also has good velocity and good accuracy in a well built rifle. Just a thought.

The reason I don't like the 6mm rem is a lack of quality brass. I want something that I can get Lapua brass for.

Another reason that I'm looking to an improved case is the reduced growth. I just hate trimming!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I don't like the 6mm rem is a lack of quality brass. I want something that I can get Lapua brass for.

Another reason that I'm looking to an improved case is the reduced growth. I just hate trimming!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Get 7x57 norma or RWS and neck them down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I vote 6mmAI for 1K+ But the BR'imp's will git 'r done too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

My vote since you have a short action would be the 6mm-284. No fireforming, great brass selection and top notch velocity. It flat out works.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts